Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Galaxie 4dr with a non adjustable column. I ordered an ignition cylinder, and had trouble finding solid information online. I’m pretty sure I’ve installed it wrong, and now I dont know how to take it out. If someone could give me a guide for installing and uninstalling that would be appreciated. Currently, it freely rotates with a key in it until it rolls over to the “lock” notch, where it just turns over again. Right now I’m thinking I’ll need to take the wheel off to remove it. But I didn’t need to take it off to put it in

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The vid is for a pre-1970 vehicle. In 1970 the feds mandated the steering wheel to be locked using the ignition key. So the ignition key lock was moved from an instrument panel mounting to steering column mounting.

As far as I know, steering wheel removal is required for ignition lock removal and installation. However it has been a long time. The procedure is covered in the shop manual. The shop manual comes in a 5 volume set. Volume #1 covers steering, suspension and brakes which should give you the data

Action

·
Registered
500 Posts
Is it not like newer vehicles? I don't recall removing the key cylinder from my 70, but I have replaced key cylinders in my 88 F 150 and 98 Taurus. Look for a small hole on the underside of the lock cylinder casting on the column. Use a small punch, or a nail in that small hole to push the release pin on the cylinder lock. With the key in the cylinder turn from the lock position to the run position and pull the cylinder out of the column.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Is it not like newer vehicles? I don't recall removing the key cylinder from my 70, but I have replaced key cylinders in my 88 F 150 and 98 Taurus. Look for a small hole on the underside of the lock cylinder casting on the column. Use a small punch, or a nail in that small hole to push the release pin on the cylinder lock. With the key in the cylinder turn from the lock position to the run position and pull the cylinder out of the column.
You are correct

1 - 6 of 6 Posts