Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1971 Ford galaxy 500 custom I’m trying to turn into Burt Reynolds car in white lightning. It has a 400 in.³ with an automatic I also have a 460 in.³ mid 1980s block, I would like to match the 460 to a four-speed and put it in this car. What kind of work is involved? Does the 460 engine bolt in place to replace the 400 cubic of engine? will the transmission fit and does the crossmember have to be modified. surveyzop

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Ford never used a 460 with a manual transmission in a car. This is a truck only application

The 385 block was designed for big cars
429 for full sized Ford and Mercurys
460 for Lincolns and Thunderbirds. Later (after 72) this engine was used in full sized Ford and Mercurys. After the 429 was dropped.

A 1971 Galaxie never came with a 460. Only a 429 which is the same block.
Maybe you can drop in the 460 with 429 mounts. This assumes the 460 came from a Lincoln and not a truck. Truck mountings tend to be different.
The transmission would be a custom modification for mounting & cross member and may the tunnel. (Other than cutting a hole for the shifter. A truck transmission tends to be bigger and may not fit the tunnel.

Seems like it all should fit and likely it does not because there is just enough of a difference.

I might suggest getting a 429 with a C-6 automatic out of a pre-72 Ford. That is a drop in combo. Or a 460 and C-6 transmission from a 1968 to 1971 Lincoln. Which should be cheap and easy to find. At least that combo will have less head aches. There are some easy mods that can be done to the C-6 to transfer more hp and handle gobs of power. Mind you I have never done this.

Action

1 - 2 of 2 Posts