Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking about updating my distributor on our 71 Galaxie 500 to electronic. What is the best one to use? It's the 400 engine, or should I just stay with the standard ignition system. I sty to start the car every three to 4 week in the winter and drive it once a week for maybe 40 miles in the summer. We do plan on longer trips now that we are retired. Any thoughts or suggestions are very appreciated. Don

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Am thinking about updating my distributor on our 71 Galaxie 500 to electronic. What is the best one to use? It's the 400 engine, or should I just stay with the standard ignition system. I sty to start the car every three to 4 week in the winter and drive it once a week for maybe 40 miles in the summer. We do plan on longer trips now that we are retired. Any thoughts or suggestions are very appreciated. Don
Hello a41zhqr,

Me personally I like to stick to OEM type systems whenever possible. In my opinion I would choose to buy the distributor, ignition coil and amplifier module for a 1976 Ford with a 400 engine and retrofit that in. It will be the Ford Duraspark blue grommet ignition amplifier used which is Fords typical low energy electronic ignition system. It's perfect for stock engines.

Now some caveats to be aware of. Only buy the Wells branded ignition amplifier (Duraspark module) and a Wells branded ignition coil. Standard Motor Products is a joke and built horribly. You'll need the wiring diagram from a 1976 Ford in order to wire it up. The Duraspark system has a bad reputation commonly found in internet searches. I can confirm the vast majority of Duraspark failed amplifiers are old ignition coils that have a shorted primary winding due to lack of oil in the round can. It may still spark and seemingly work but the excess current ends up melting a trace in the Duraspark amplifier. The cure is to use a new high quality ignition coil (Wells brand) and double check it by shaking it as it should be nearly full of fluid.

Of course there is a multitude of aftermarket ignition systems and well it's aftermarket so buyer beware.

Cheers

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Desert XL The person who had it before me had the points set way to close and it started hard, reset the gap and it starts right off. Was just trying to get a spark plug out to find the brand and what he has them gapped at, bot are they in there, will probably have to run it a while then try to remove. You don't happen to know the correct Motorcraft sparkplug for the 400 2 barrel do you? I found 3 different numbers but cant find a chart that shows any specifications. The socket size is 5/8" . Thanks for all the help, Don

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,253 Posts
Different spark plug numbers may be the result of different material or I suppose heat range.

71 Galaxie 500 with 400 engine - Motorcraft spark plugs
Copper plug SP450 X
Platinum SP 502 X
I got this data from the AutoZone website

Action

1 - 4 of 4 Posts