Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I'm looking to replace my master cylinder in my '73 E100 and I wanted to check if anyone knows if this CARDONE 131647 would be a good replacement.

I have drum brakes on the front and rear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Hey there,

I'm looking to replace my master cylinder in my '73 E100 and I wanted to check if anyone knows if this CARDONE 131647 would be a good replacement.

I have drum brakes on the front and rear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Cardone makes good products as far as I know that would be OK

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts
A log time ago in a place far away I had a '74 Econoline E100 with manual drum brakes on all four corners. It is nice to see some one still has a second gen Econoline!!!

The reference you posted says it fits.
The picture shown (which may be stock) is not correct for application. The picture shown is for front disc brakes. With a large reservoir in the back for disc brakes and a smaller reservoir for the drum brakes.

A correct master cylinder for drum brakes all around would have reservoirs of the same size.

And the photo may be a stock photo and not of the actual part.

Other than that the site says it fits.

>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts
What does the master cylinder that you have now look like???
Are the reservoirs the same size?

Action

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
That's a weird one
The only show a master cylinder with the same size reservoirs is when you look up a brake booster
I think they have bad listings

·
Registered
83 Posts
An inquiry with the company may clear things up. Ask them to visually inspect one. I've found that often times pics don't match the actual product. If you can get a part number for the Ford OEM one, that may lead you to the correct part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A log time ago in a place far away I had a '74 Econoline E100 with manual drum brakes on all four corners. It is nice to see some one still has a second gen Econoline!!!

The reference you posted says it fits.
The picture shown (which may be stock) is not correct for application. The picture shown is for front disc brakes. With a large reservoir in the back for disc brakes and a smaller reservoir for the drum brakes.

A correct master cylinder for drum brakes all around would have reservoirs of the same size.

And the photo may be a stock photo and not of the actual part.

Other than that the site says it fits.

>>>>>>Action
Ooooooffff. My master cylinder on there now has a larger reserviour for the front and smaller for the rear, and I have drum brakes all around.

Is it a possibility that the wrong one is on it now?

It's all rusty and crusty, I posted on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum as well. A member there mentioned that the Carbone products are refurbished, which I'm potentially open to; the main focus is getting it to function 100%.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts
The MC that is on there now is not correct. It may still do the job but isn't correct for the application.

Cardone is a 50+ year old global remanufacturer. They handle a boat load of parts. I would not hesitate using one of their parts. And there are plenty of other choices as well. Most if not all are remanufactures.

For the exterior of a master cylinder to be rusty, that is more of a function of cosmetics with brake fluid is splashed on the outside. It is how the inside that works that is most important. And a MC is fairly cheap to buy. Removing the air is the trick on reinstallation.

And if the fluid is old flushing or bleeding the system until clean fluid comes out would be great maintenance.

Recommended before any of that would be to check the bleeder screws on all wheel cylinders. With a six point socket crack the bleeder screw just so it moves. Not so fluid comes out. If the wheel cylinders are very old the bleeder screws can be stuck. Either breaking the screw or rounding the hex head. Then you might as well replace the wheel cylinder as well.

I have heard it spoken that crap rolls down hill. The wheel cylinder is at the bottom of the hill called brake hydraulics.

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The MC that is on there now is not correct. It may still do the job but isn't correct for the application.
I appreciate this insight.

I'll look into a replacement for this and start from the master cylinder down to the braided hoses. Everything past those are new including the wheel cylinders, drums and shoes.

All of the bleeders are working properly, I've flushed the fluid on this recently to deduct rusty fluid and air in the lines. I'm grateful they weren't seized.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts
Keep us posted.

Action

1 - 11 of 11 Posts