Ford Automobiles banner

1973 LTD Rear Axle Bump Rubber

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Action 
#1 ·
Hi Gang ,

After some new Bumper rubber for the rear axle on my LTD any ideas ?

tried the usual suppliers but seem to be a odd item to get , not found any NOS yet but staying on it .

Thanks Swampy .

#2 ·
Which one I think there are 3

Action

#4 ·
The frame mounted bumper is not available anywhere that I have found in the aftermarket world in a couple of years. There is one on each side. That specific one has a lot of applications from 1965 to 1972.
I would be willing to buy 4, if I could find them.

Action

#6 ·
Doing a little more research on full sized Ford Mercury

Full sized from 1965 model year up to a vehicle build date of 10-05-1973 (1974 models) takes a D9AZ 4730 A
For 1974 built after 10-05-1973 up to 1978 model year is a D4AZ 4730 A

Action

#7 ·
I have bought a couple of used ones, and the mid-sized vehicles (Torino/Montego) have a similar one that is not correct

Action

#9 ·
Check this out just need the sizes .

I am also looking into some Land Rover ones i know some Guys who mess with them and they will be heavy duty , i will try and get hold of one and see if it can be made to work , they are cheap and plentiful so that would be great .

I will report on what and when i come up with something .

Swampy.

#10 ·
I did some detailed measurements so a reproduction company might make these. They never did and I sould have the exact measurements some where.

But my life is a lil frazzeled at the moment

Action

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Turned out a bit more complicated thamn i first thought ,the ones i had in mind for Land Rover /Range Rover turned out to be way over size but this lead me to the earlier type which the guy let me take home for evaluation . this is also a bit to big and fits bolts transvesly on the truck ,if turned so the bolts are for and aft like on the LTD the holes are correct at 4 1/16 inch, the only problem is the mounts stick up so the rubber stands of the chassis , i thought the space could be packed out with thick rubber ,not ideal but could get you out of a jam . The top to bottom is oversize as well so would need some rubber cutting off to get correct axle to rubber clearence ,the plus side is these rubbers are cheap and plentful so ideal for experimenting with also should be available worldwide .

Hopefully the pictures will help explain ,hard to show the mesurments but any questions i will try to answer, as can be seen in the shot's with my old rubber ther is a lot of material to get rid of .

While investigating all this i spoke to a Guy who coverts VW vans into campers and is aprovved by them ,he uses a bonding agent called Sikaflex 252 for attaching the pop up roof's on the campers ,the product is used with a primer and apparently they are starting to hold cars together with this stuff it being stronger then the panels it holds, as i have the old bump rubber of my car i am going to use this method to reattach it to its mounting and put it back .
The Bonder sealer is available on Ebay so available .

But if some one has lost there rubber altogether rhen the Land Rover one scould be the option .

Hope this is of help to somebody out there .

Swampy
Auto part Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bumper
Auto part
Yellow Tape measure Floor Ruler Flooring
Measuring instrument Ruler Calipers Tool
Display device Electronics Screen Technology Electronic device
Auto part Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bumper
Auto part
Yellow Tape measure Floor Ruler Flooring
Measuring instrument Ruler Calipers Tool
Display device Electronics Screen Technology Electronic device

#13 ·
If a reproduction rear axle bumper mounted on the frame arch is found, I would be interested in buying at least 4. And maybe 8.
At least two of my hobby cars listed below have nothing or just the metal base. The rubber is gone.
(The Mark III and the LTD)
The other two vehicles - the 1966 vehicles - I think use the same bumper. I just have not checked.

And yes I have looked for this specific axle bumper a year or two ago with zero results.

Action

#14 ·
Re-read post #11

Sikaflex makes a lot of adhesives. There is one used widely in the marine world that is water proof.

A very good product. Selecting the correct one is needed.

Action

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.