Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and happy to have discovered this forum. Recently acquired a 1975 LTD two door Landau in great shape needing no more than all fluids changed before hitting the road again after 20 plus years of storage. My only issue is trying to get more info on the rear diff to see if I need to add a friction modifier to the gear oil for possible limited slip clutches. No tag on diff and haven’t found info on web to decipher the door tag with K in the axle area. The DSO area has a 13. I have drilled and tapped the bottom of the housing for an 1/8 NPT plug so I can drain the fluid without removing the chuck otherwise you could visually see what lurks inside. Looking forward to the big car life!

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The axle code of K is a limited slip 2.75 ratio axle.
The letter code designates a limited slip. Number codes are standard axles

If it were me I would not add friction modifier unless you hear or feel a bump on low speed turns on dry hard pavement.

Changing the axle fluid is not a recommended maintenance. Only to check level and top off if needed.

The 13 DSO is New York

Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the quick response. I appreciate the information. Although this car has been garaged since new it was not a heated garage and located in New England. As I thought the gear oil was contaminated with moisture so I’m glad it’s drained. In your opinion what would be the best equivalent of factory oil? Thanks again.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
Not sure I understand the question.
Based on brand, gear oil weight or some other factor?

All gear oil from today is going to be far superior to anything available in the 1970s.
Just use the weight recommended in the owner's manual.

Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No question posed other than by me. As I look through this forum you clearly seem to have your finger on the pulse of a lot of enlightening information. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts