Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a 77 LTD several years ago. The state I am in requires everything from 75 to now, to pass DEQ every two years.

I have been trying to find identical catalytic converters for this vehicle. Not much money, so thought I would try to replace them myself. I go to different sites and find 'universal' type for the vehicle. Does anyone know of a site where the original ones can be purchased? Shops around here are even hesitant to replace them for some reason. There are two of them on this critter. It has a 2 barrel carb. 400 cubic inch engine. Lousy gas mileage because of all the emission control stuff, but does run good. Will outlast me if I can get it through DEQ again!

Am retired and on limited income, so I cannot afford to purchase wrong ones. These have two bolts on the input side if I remember correctly. Think I can replace them myself without a hoist if I can find the correct ones.

I did not realize it was so old until one shop told me 'we don't work on classics'! This is the newest vehicle we have!! Never entered my mind that it is older than a lot of mechanics these days!!

This is not a classic. It is a beat up, daily-driver. I do not have the money to restore it. Never had a vehicle that has catalytic converters on them. I thought it would be easy to find ones that I could replace without welding or paying a lot of money. To replace them, I will have to jack the vehicle up and crawl underneath with jack-stands helping the situation. I call it a 'Sherman Tank'.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The first question would be, if the vehicle has cat converters, why are you replacing them?
Single exhaust system?

Next are statements -
The original converters from Ford are no longer available. The after market may have a direct replacement.
And may be not so if you have to replace then welding a universal may be the only option/

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
25 Posts
Hi there and welcome! I own a '78 and am gonna have to do a full exhaust change, (manifolds and back) so I'm very interested in what you end up settling on. Same exact setup but I'm doing restomod work on mine. As far as I can tell, you'll get the most miles out of weld on units but I think if you match the correct exhaust diameter you should be set either way. All the complex emissions shenanigans should be up on the motor, so I think a universal should work fine without any surprises.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts