1977 Maverick Wiper Issue | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1977 Maverick Wiper Issue

Discussion in 'Ford Maverick' started by gramps51, Oct 12, 2016.

1. gramps51

gramps51 New Member

I'm looking at a 1977 Maverick to purchase and one thing wrong is the passenger side wiper arm doesn't move properly. The driver's side works fine but the passenger side sort of flops. It is tight through the cowl fitting so I suspect something wrong in the linkage. I'm not even sure how to access the mechanism since I don't own the car and can't get into it. I'm just looking for some guidance if anyone can help so I have a bit of a heads up before I make the purchase. Thanks in advance.
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

On the back side of the wiper motor there will be a pivot with arms that lead right and left
    on that linkage there is a clip that may have fallen off or a bushing in the linkage that is worn out
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Dominick is spot on.

And the repair isn't difficult if it involves those parts. Just awkward.
    The arm and pivot assembly (right side) is the same for '71 to '77 Maverick/Comet models. Should be lots of donors out there.

Here is both sides (Don't buy B 4 U buy the car.)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDSHIELD-...ash=item1a14a65c9e:g:4zIAAOSwhOBXUJA-&vxp=mtr

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  4. gramps51

gramps51 New Member

Thanks to both of you for the help. Is this repair done from up under the dash inside the car or from under the hood? I've only been looking at photos of a car that is 4 hours away but the owner was honest enough to tell me the truth about this issue. The car is totally rust free and this seems to be the only thing I would need to address right away. John Willoughby Maverick B.jpg John Willoughby Maverick C.jpg
  5. Dominick 1

Very Nice Maverick
    I just called a friend of mine who races one and he said it has to be replaced inside under the dash
  6. gramps51

gramps51 New Member

I sort of figured that. Probably a bear of a job but I want both wipers to work!! I guess the first thing to do is get the old mechanism out to see what is actually wrong. If I do buy it this will be Job 1. Thanks again for the help. I knew this site would come in handy!
    Action likes this.
  7. Dominick 1

Thank you for joining the forum