Ford Automobiles banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
Run the engine with the hood up. It would seem that you could readily see the oil coming out. Then snap a pic of that location.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Reactions: Zach Samoro

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Run the engine with the hood up. It would seem that you could readily see the oil coming out. Then snap a pic of that location.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
So bad news. Last night, my friend and I were driving on the highway from his restaurant and around alliance, we smelt burnt oil and metallic rattling. Once we exited of the highway and I put my foot on the clutch and off the gas, the car stalled and started to smoke a lot. Thought it was overheated, but once I opened the hood, the whole right side of the engine bay was soaked in oil. I talked to a guy and left it at his shop last night and he said that the crankcase oil pressure was too high (Or something) and oil shot out of the carburetor. Also, some pistons may be destroyed and needs a rebuild. Gonna take it to a place later today that specializes in engine rebuilds, so let's hope for the best. And I believe that the PCV was the cause

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
The PCV is a valve that vents the crankcase. The venting takes place from the crankcase (Via the valve cover and on your engine a hose coming off of the front of the valve cover) to the intake manifold, typically just below the carb or throttle body depending on the engine.

IF the engine develops too much crankcase pressure it is possible that PCV is plugged or the hose & valve are plugged or are restricted. However what is more likely is the piston rings are worn to the point that the pistons are pumping fuel air mixture into the crankcase versus compressing and blowing the charge out the exhaust valve. Especially if this engine has a lot of miles on it.

In either case if the crankcase pressure becomes too high the pressure will be relieved at the weakest point. My guess is that was a valve cover gasket.

To verify if the piston rings are excessively worn is as simple as a compression test (wet and dry) that will determine if the rings and/or valves are excessively worn. Based on what you have posted, worn piston rings are consistent with the condition. Initially everything is good and after the engine has warmed up (and oil has thinned out) and the engine is running at speeds greater than 45MPH or the equivalent the issue is present.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Reactions: redrag
61 - 66 of 66 Posts