1978 Ford LTD environmental - A/C evaporator and heater core cleaning | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1978 Ford LTD environmental - A/C evaporator and heater core cleaning

Discussion in 'Ford LTD' started by DiMora, Aug 1, 2012.

1. DiMora

DiMora Member

Have you guys ever dis-assembled your environmental box on the firewall?

I did over the last two days; I think it is the first time it has been apart since it was built.

The engine was out, and access was easy, so I went for it.

Airflow was nearly non-existent, so I knew something was going on, but I did not expect to see things as bad as they were.

One shop vacuuming, one giant spray bottle of coil cleaner, and a thorough hose-rinsing later, and we are back in business!

Before:

aimages18.fotki.com_v61_photos_6_743956_10928674_photo2_vi.jpg_c7dedc844b6f7d24733be68d04ceb35d.jpg

After:

aimages18.fotki.com_v61_photos_6_743956_10928674_photo1_vi.jpg_69149bc326d4d24a5703a7b0e1b620af.jpg

Instead of that black tar Ford used to seal up the halves, I used some foam weatherstripping.

Good as old!

Shane
    Dominick likes this.
  2. ttentzerak

ttentzerak New Member

okay now I have to take mine apart after seeing this
    :mad:
  3. DiMora

DiMora Member

Glad you joined, Tom!

Yessir, better to make sure it is clean. They can sure get nasty!
  4. dyngrngalaxie

dyngrngalaxie Active Member Respected Member

Incredible! I'm thinking my 03 crown vic' likely isn't much better. Yikes!!! they're great cars but not too mechanic friendly.
  5. ttentzerak

ttentzerak New Member

Luckily with the 75-78 LTD's it is fairly easy to get at the evaporator and the heater core is probably the smartest design Ive ever seen its about a 20 minute job to change.
  6. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member Respected Member

Geeze... how hard would it have been to design it with an easily accessible slide in- slide out, air filter similar to the one that we use for our AC at home?
  7. DiMora

DiMora Member

They could have, but honestly I don't think any cars had filters back then in 1973/1974 (when the 1975-1978 style car was designed) so it probably was not even a thought.

Modern cars almost all have filters now; the latest one I bought for my 06 Mustang had baking soda in it to control odor (Arm and Hammer branded air filter)