1978 Ford LTD Radio not working, possible ground issue | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1978 Ford LTD Radio not working, possible ground issue

Discussion in 'Ford LTD' started by BadBilly46, Aug 21, 2017.

1. BadBilly46

BadBilly46 New Member

The original 8 track player in my 1978 Ford LTD Landau started acting weird last week. It would power on, but no sound would come out. This was intermittent and varied between the radio working and the 8 track not working, the vice versa, then finally neither worked. I went to the junk yard and pulled a similarly designed cassette player from an El Camino. The El Camino has 7 wires on it as does the LTD.

So far I have connected the wires as best as i can using a test light and online sources and everything is working properly with one stipulation. The stereo only plays music when the common ground for the 4 speakers is disconnected from the stereo's case and then replaced each time after the car or stereo is powered off. It seems like its not acting as a ground until it is removed and pressed back on to the stereo and only then sound plays through the speakers.

Is there a short in a speaker wire I need to find? or is this ground wire not being connected where it should be?

once this disconnect/connect has been done, disconnecting the ground again still provides sound but it is highly distorted.

On the side note I think the original stereo was never an issue but some sort of grounding issue.

The wires;
    there are two plugs coming from the car,
    one 2 prong female plug which contains;
    blue/red = dash lights 12v, and
    yellow/black hash mark = ignition 12v
    the second plug contains 4 female prongs and 1 male prong
    the one male prong is black/white hash marks = 4 speaker return wire
    the four female prongs are;
    orange/white = speaker
    pink/blue = speaker
    white/green = speaker
    orange/green = speaker
    EDIT: the stereo unit grounds directly through the chasis of the car. I connected a length of wire from a bolt on the stereo to a bolt inside the dash.

The El Camino radio contains the same number of wires which all pair up correctly except for the ground wire, connecting the LTD's speaker ground to the El Camino Stereo's ground creates a large amount of distortion as well as having the issue of being unplugged and replugged in each start-up.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

An El Camino is made by Chevy. Have no idea how that works nor any data on a Chevy.

Nice LTD!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. BadBilly46

BadBilly46 New Member

Its made by chevy but the basic function of the radio would be the same. They're the old style, push button mechanical radios. I'm thinking the issue is with the common ground wires for the speakers.