1978 Ford LTD Roof-rail weather seals | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1978 Ford LTD Roof-rail weather seals

Discussion in 'Ford LTD' started by DiMora, Jul 26, 2012.

1. DiMora

DiMora Member

Does anyone have a source for roof-rail weather seals for a 1978 Ford LTD? Mine is a Landau 2-door pillared hard-top.

Shane
  2. DiMora

DiMora Member

I've been working on this for a few days.

I found a fellow in California at Hilltop Classics that has a local guy who custom-makes weatherstripping.

I sent him my old, beat-up stripping, and he is going to give it a crack. It is not cheap (around $300), but if I get an OEM like-fit and there is no water leakage, I can justify restoring my interior.

My back up plan is this: An extrusion from Steele rubber products that appears to match:

Stock code 70-1663-99 sponge rubber extrusion.

Look at this: If the dimensions are the same, it is pretty darn close:

[​IMG] aimages49.fotki.com_v1556_photos_6_743956_10930105_Hooptie_Weatherstrip_vi.jpg

https://dealer.steelerubber.com/Ecommerce/SpecialExtrusionDetail.aspx?IID=11332

If anyone tries that out, please post up how it works. Be sure to measure it or request a sample before ordering any, because it is only my guess that it might fit.

I figured you could keep the leading edge and trailing edges from the existing weatherstripping, and use that extrusion to "splice in" between the ends.

Here is a list of weather-seal suppliers I tried; I'll post these in case anyone has a different Ford they are seeking parts for, IE Mustang, T-Bird, Galaxy, etc.

Dennis Carpenter 704-786-8139

Softseal 800-426-0902

Metro moulded 800-878-2237

Lincoln Parts Internatonal

[FONT=&quot]Hilltop Classics Escondido 760-746-0400 [/FONT]

Shane
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. DiMora

DiMora Member

I just got off the phone with Chip @ Hilltop...he says my roof-rail weather seals should be done a week from Friday.

Once I get them back, I'll post pictures and a review of installation and fitment.

If I didn't state it before, the process was that I removed my old stripping and sent it to Chip so he could take it to his guy for a "pattern".

I am stoked if this works out perfectly.

It opens up the possibility of an interior restoration. I have been avoiding a restoration since every time it rains, the interior gets wet.

Shane
  4. rel0924

rel0924 New Member

Thanks Mr. DiMora it may be worth investigating when the funds are right
  5. DiMora

DiMora Member

I have my custom-built roof-rail seals back from Hilltop. They look pretty good.

Just shy of $400.

If anyone needs an OEM set, I have pair that I picked up and never installed - they were my back-up plan in case Hilltop failed me...

PM me if you want to buy them.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  6. traderssd

traderssd New Member

Hello Shane,

I have the exact same car with the exact same issue and have been looking for a solution for nearly 4 years. I really appreciate your posts and valuable information you've provided. I have explored several different possibilities for replacing my roof-rail weatherseals, several of which were similar to yours. I too found a fellow who offered to custom make a set but I'm a bit hesitant as to whether or not they really would be acceptable as a good replacement for the OEM ones. I'm very eager to know how your custom built ones work and fit. Could you please post an update? Also, do you still have your OEM ones availible?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
    Stuart D.
    Portland, Oregon
    1978 LTD Landau 2 DR
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  7. DiMora

DiMora Member

Hey Stuart,

My custom ones made by Hilltop look great, but they are not installed yet...I still have the engine out, and I will install the seals soon. The custom ones were just shy of $400.00

Yes, I still have the OEM ones available that I picked up. I'll let them go for what I paid for them - $200.00 shipped.
  8. traderssd

traderssd New Member

Hello Shane and thank you for the update. I'm sure anxious to know how the Hilltop seals fit. What about the OEM ones? What kind of shape are they in? Also, do you have any information on where to go for some "outside" window scrapers for our cars? Let me know.

Thank you Shane!

Stuart D.
    Portland,Oregon
  9. DiMora

DiMora Member

Hey Stuart.

The new roofrail weather seals are in - I put them both on using some 3M adhesive after removing / cleaning the OEM trim that holds the seals.

They fit well. You can tell the only custom part is the corners and ends; the rest looks like a length of extruded bulk material that was bonded to the custom parts, but it does all work. At $400 they are pricey, but are a suitable option in lieu of finding some decent used OEM ones.

The OEM ones I bought as spares for $200 are still in the box; I will pull them out and take pics if you are interested in them.