Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pretty recently gotten my hands on this beautiful '78 LTD wagon, but the driver's side floor pan's all rusted out and the whole driver's seat was about to fall through before I realized. I'm looking online for a replacement pan, but coming up with nothing. I have a feeling I'll have to fabricate something or take from a donor car, but does anyone happen to have any leads on a replacement or another possible model that would work before I pull the trigger on a fab?

Also, the passenger side looks astoundingly good in comparison. Any ideas or similar issues out there only affecting the driver's side?

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Likely you are going to have to fabricate.
Vehicles from the 1970s are not as popular as earlier vehicles.

Action

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
I know of a local Phoenix AZ wrecking yard that may have a donor vehicle.
But to get it to Chicago would be expensive. I am guessing a grand. But is a wild guess.

Would you be interested?

>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that'll put me past my price range at the current moment after all's said and done, but I'll keep in touch if that changes anytime soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Fabrication can be fun, if a desert part is prohibitively expensive. You can research different techniques to try and mimic factory details. I did that with a 79 bronco. But even flat stock is better than no effort at all (I’ve done both). Get a mig either way and enjoy

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
It was a guess
And that wrecking yard is not know for being low cost

A low cost suggestion, buy a parts car. Take what you want and part out and sell the rest.
What is left over usually a yard that is looking for scrap metal will haul away for free.

I have done this with 3 or 4 cars. Over the long haul you will make money
The down side it this option takes space. You don't get your cash back right away. And you, your significant other (maybe others) have to be good with the eye sore for a short period of time.

Action

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
25 Posts
How is the extent of the damage? Doing sheet fab work on these mid 70's LTD's is really a must, considering the non-existent support they receive from the aftermarket. Is your rocker panel still in good shape? That's something I always look at now when doing floors after having to basically rebuild the entire bottom edge of my '91 F150.

Otherwise, it's amazing what kinds of shapes you can form with a simple hammer and dolly, or even a couple wood forms. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts