Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatever genius decided that the 200 ci six should have an integral intake manifold should have been shot the moment he suggested it. As you may have guessed by now, I just dropped a foreign object right down the chute. The carburetor base gasket has plastic inserts at both stud holes. I knocked one out accidentally and, having removed the rag that I had previously stuffed into the hole to keep out foreign material, the insert went straight down the hole. I might have stood a little chance, at least, were it not for the car facing up my driveway and the front wheels being up on ramps as well.
I'm currently in the process of removing the cylinder head to get the insert out. I'll check back right before I break torque on the head bolts to see if anybody has any better ideas. If not, I only ask that others learn from my pain and frustration.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Do you think a vacuum will pull it out of the manifold? or is it too far in.
Not sure what part you dropped in there but if it's small enough to come out of the spark plug hole you might be able to pull it through there too.

A borescope might be helpful if you can rent/borrow one. If you are close enough you can borrow mine. SE MIchigan

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is probably stuck on the ribbed passages of the manifold.
The passages on the manifold go up on an angle into the block.
I would remove the exhaust manifold and look in there.
If not, remove the spark plugs one by one, and blow it out the exhaust manifold port after bringing each cylinder to the top.
I have pictures on my site but cannot show you due to the restriction.
Maybe next year.

·
Registered
798 Posts
You can paste a link if you use dot instead of . in the link
9 more posts and you can post them straight up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I tried the vacuum and couldn't get it to work for me. I pulled the head, turned it over, and shook it a bit. The little plastic washer came out. :smile5:
Now, of course, I have some "while I'm in there" work that could stand to be done before I put the head back on. I'll fill you all in on some of the details tomorrow. In the meantime, I need to check Late Model Restoration Supply's website for some of the bits I may need/want to order.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I tried the vacuum and couldn't get it to work for me. I pulled the head, turned it over, and shook it a bit. The little plastic washer came out. :smile5:
Now, of course, I have some "while I'm in there" work that could stand to be done before I put the head back on. I'll fill you all in on some of the details tomorrow. In the meantime, I need to check Late Model Restoration Supply's website for some of the bits I may need/want to order.
Had to pull the head....suxs, but, on the other hand....a V8 would be nice....
let us know how we can spend your money for ya..... :devil:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
technically can't we fit V12's in out cars? I'm sure one of us will try it with a Jaguar engine...

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm waitin to see who's first to try stuffing the new 5.0 between the rails....:idea:

·
Registered
684 Posts
If I ever get my 200 put together, I'll be looking for another Zephyr to make the attempt. Shouldn't be too long before some teenage kid whose dad bought him a 2011 Stang rolls it up cause he can't handle the power.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd love to ditch the six in favor of an injected 5.0. In fact, I plan to do that as soon as I can get away with it. Unfortunately, I'm about to retire from the Navy at the end of May and I don't have a job lined up just yet. I'll have to settle for fixing what's there for the time being.
That said, if anybody has an intake manifold vacuum fitting (the one that provides the vacuum to the power brake booster) that you'd be willing to sell, please let me know. One of the barbed fittings for one of the vacuum hoses rusted almost completely away.
I'm going to try to get the egr tube fittings free. I'm hoping it doesn't break. I already have to take the aforementioned metal tube which provides vacuum to the brake booster down to Devine Hydraulics to get a reproduction piece made. The tube that ties into the underside of the exhaust manifold may also wind up breaking, but better now while the head is off and the repair easier than later when the head is back on the engine with limited work space.
More later (who knows, maybe I'll get a good-paying job and be that first guy to stuff in one of the new 5.0's)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
where are you stationed?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm currently stationed in Groton, Connecticut... the Submarine Capitol of the World.
Now I have another question... do any of you know for sure whether the threaded fittings on the ends of the EGR tube are SAE (1") or metric (24 mm)? The 1" seems a little sloppy and has a tendency to round off the hex points on the EGR tube fittings. Unfortunately, I don't have a 24 mm socket (yet). I'd hate to buy one only to find out that the 1" IS the correct wrench.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
here's another one for you. is the 1in. 6, or 12 point?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got an entire 200 six sitting in my way could maybe ship you parts if needed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! Did I really say that?!

It took a couple of hours before I remembered that 1 in. = 25.4 mm, not 24.5 mm. :yikes: So, the question I should have asked is whether that ERG tube fitting requires a 25 mm wrench because of the sloppiness of the fit of the 1 inch wrench. At this moment, I haven't succeeded in breaking loose either end of the EGR tube and am working with the open end of the wrench. It's a Craftsman wrench, so it's not likely a matter of poor manufacturing tolerances on the wrench. I'm trying hard to get this tube off without breaking it or rounding off all of the corners on the fitting. If it does come to it, though, Devine Hydraulics is pretty close to my house and they should be able to reproduce the lines that already broke as well as the EGR tube if it breaks. I'm also going to see if they can do anything about that intake manifold vacuum fitting (that is, replace the one hose connection that rusted almost completely away). I'm going there tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
do you have emissions standards in your area?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On a car that old, no. What would be the effect of removing the EGR valve, tube, and spacer? By chance can I expect my fuel economy to improve?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts