Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think I’ve found the source of rich running and hesitation.
1. The rich running seems to be from the carburetor dripping gas from the butterflies. When I fill the float bowl with gas and the top and float out. There is a constant drip of gas flowing out of the butterfly area. I can’t locate where it’s coming from. Any thoughts?
2. The accel pump is not spraying out of the nozzles. I installed a new diaphragm due to leakage around the pump shaft, but it’s still not spraying out of the nozzles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
well it sounds like the power valve is leaking. you can see it in your picture between and in front of the 2 jets (brass}. flip the carb over and you will see the cover and 4 screws. the power valve screws into the carb body. common problem, easy fix. hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
The float bowl bottom shows evidence of debris or water.

I would clean and overhaul the carb.

Action

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
also cut off the pull through tail from the accelerator pump check valve so it doesn't interfere with the float

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good points and appreciate the help. I have another different rebuild kit coming. I just rebuilt this carb a few weeks ago, but it never ran right. It probably takes a few power valves to get a good one nowadays. The putrid gas I’m sure hasn’t helped, it made me wanna puke when I pulled the carb off the first time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tonight I swapped the new power valve with the old power valve. They look quite different. The new power valve drips at about .5sec/drip. The old valve drips at about 2sec/drip. We’ll see what the new power valve no. 2 drips at when I receive it later in the week.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found this YouTube video which perfectly describes the issue with the power valve on these carbs. (If the link doesn’t work, or you don’t wanna watch the video, I’ll summarize)
Basically the issue with new valves isn’t the valve. It’s the fiber gasket that the kits supply.
The gasket absorbs the gas (I witnessed this cause it takes a minute or so before leaking) and then allows the gas to fill up the bottom vacuum chamber.
In the video, he uses lithium grease and form-a-gasket to “seal” the fiber gasket and prevent the fiber gasket from soaking up the gas. While he says this lasts a long time. It sure would be nice to have a gasket that didn’t soak up gas. Maybe some other material, rubber or something? I’m sure Ford actually used the proper material originally. Anyway, yay internet!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Evidently his first video was just a temporary fix (not surprised). Now he’s suggesting a viton o-ring. Evidently Holley uses viton covered gaskets, I’ll see if I can track one of these down locally as I’m tired of ordering crap and having to wait on shipping.
I received my newest rebuild kit, and even though it’s from Hygrade it has the same garbage gasket as my other carquest kit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up using the viton o-ring. The engine finally runs as it should. Is this really that common of a problem? I’m not sure, maybe not. But at least for now mine seems fine. On to the next issue...new radiator install.

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
Thanks for posting your result!!!

Action

1 - 12 of 12 Posts