Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1982 Ford Bronco with a 302 5.0L V8 engine. I have replaced the Electronic Ignition module, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor and coil. The Bronco was running (although not that well) before replacing the distributor, now it runs for only like 10min then turns off (it doesn't sound as if the rpm are bottoming out, it sounds just like turning off the vehicle) and will not start again until it is completely cool. During this time the Coil will get very hot as well. Anyone have any idea whats wrong with it?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
That is a classic sign of a faulty pickup coil inside the dizzy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
and that was the exact same problem with buddy lincoln 90 5.0 replace the "dizzy" made it all better!

·
Registered
623 Posts
The Bronco was running (although not that well) before replacing the distributor,
just sayin doesnt mean the new one was/is good

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a 1982 Ford Bronco with a 302 5.0L V8 engine. I have replaced the Electronic Ignition module, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor and coil. The Bronco was running (although not that well) before replacing the distributor, now it runs for only like 10min then turns off (it doesn't sound as if the rpm are bottoming out, it sounds just like turning off the vehicle) and will not start again until it is completely cool. During this time the Coil will get very hot as well. Anyone have any idea whats wrong with it?
I see you replaced the dist(dizzy) did you use a used one?
refresh my memory, does your bronco have the brain box on the driver side fender?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see you replaced the dist(dizzy) did you use a used one?
refresh my memory, does your bronco have the brain box on the driver side fender?
yes it does and we put a new one in it (it acts the same way before and after we replaced it) the distubutor is also a rebuilt.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Jacara,

I am pretty sure that there is a ground wire from the inside of the distributor that goes to the pick up coil. Make sure that is clean and tight. I'm still betting that your problem is the pick up coil, but it could be your regular coil as well.
Try this method.
This is from our friend Blue Beast, (a fellow Bronco owner)

Cryo-diagnostics

If your car doesn't want to start when it is hot and it isn't throwing a code. Or you have intermittant running problems while it's hot and running.

Grab a can of keyboard duster and while wearing protection for your hands, eyes and
other dangley parts, Holding the can upside down, spray for example the TFI module
for about 4-7 seconds and let it cool down and evaporate any condensation on the
outside of the part(2-5 minutes) Then try restarting, If no start still, move onto the next component which would be the pick up coil inside the distributor, So on and so forth moving on to the next component down the line. You will have to alter the spray timing since metal parts conduct heat (and cold) better then a plastic encapsulated part so you may have to add time to certain parts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Try measuring the voltage at the coil. It should be 6-8 volts. if its higher than that, the draw from the coil will overheat the ignition module and shut it down. Could be a bad module, overheating the breaker inside.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts