Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well hey is this the first post in this sub forum? Hot damn.

Yesterday I bought my first Ford: a 1985 Club Wagon with the 6.9 diesel v8 and extended cab. It needs a bit of work, and since I don't know anything about auto repair, it's gonna be how I learn everything the hard way. There's a leak in the firewall (wait how does the firewall work with a doghouse??), the body's got some good rust spots, some of the ticky little electrical stuff is out, and it needs a new floorbed, but the engine runs great.

Looking for a row of bench seats (didn't come with any) and new cushions/upholstery for the bucket seats...the ones in there might be the originals, but they look like a dog's been chewing on 'em for 25 years.

I kinda want to put some sort of roof rack on it which could support say 500 lbs. Beach chairs and a boombox on the roof? Yes please.

The electronics tinkerer in me is hoping this thing has an OBD system so I could hook it up to a laptop. But maybe 1985 is too old for it to have one?
...hm yeah too old I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey there Lex,

I see you got a picture of the Club Wagon up, she looks real sharp for her age...... :yesnod:
There's a leak in the firewall (wait how does the firewall work with a doghouse??)
What kind of leak is it? Where is the leak at - left side or right side of the doghouse?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The guy I bought it from sort of gestured to the area above the driver's left foot and said the leak was somewhere around there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it rained a little today and I didn't see any water on the inside. I guess I'm gonna have to wait for a more serious downpour before I can find where this leak might be.

About the doghouse though...how well can the firewall work if I'm sitting right next to another chunk of the engine? Or are there only pieces in the doghouse that aren't very likely to catch on fire?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Here's an artificial downpour machine. It might work.

awww.faqs.org_photo_dict_photofiles_list_6331_8344garden_hose.jpg

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey there Lex,

From what I am understanding the last owner wasn't exactly sure the water leak was from the firewall. Water leaks are funny and sometimes come from the least expected place.

A trick sometimes used to finding them is to use a hose and let it run water onto the general area where the leaking is occurring to determine it's exact location. If it is from the firewall, a firewall patch panel could be fabricated and stitched in (by stitched I mean welded). The leak could also be a run off leak from somewhere else.

About the doghouse though...how well can the firewall work if I'm sitting right next to another chunk of the engine? Or are there only pieces in the doghouse that aren't very likely to catch on fire?
If I recall correctly the engine cover or doghouse itself is constructed from the same material as the firewall and was considered by some to be part of the firewall. It's purpose was to gain access to the back part of the engine.

If you have not yet had the doghouse off, I am attaching a picture to show what is there when it's removed.

Hope this helps Lex.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I like Missinformation's comment that one may better localize the leak by concentrating on one area of the van at a time. So I would suggest that you start lower and work your way up.

·
Registered
798 Posts
With a vehicle that old I'd bet it either has holes in the cowl area or in the windshield mounting flange.
Remove the cover over the cowl (wipers), look for debris clogging the drains or rust-through holes.
Remove the windshield trim in side the cab to expose possible leaks. The only way to repair this is to remove the glass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I guess it's worth digging around in the basement for a hose rather than waiting for a real downpour...especially since those never actually happen here...

If I recall correctly the engine cover or doghouse itself is constructed from the same material as the firewall and was considered by some to be part of the firewall.
Ah that makes sense.

Thanks Cuda Jim. A leak there or a run off leak elsewhere is a very real possibility...there are more than a few rust holes on this thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts