Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok new here. I have been scratching my head for weeks now. I’m decent at working on my vehicles. Especially my 1988 F250 7.3 IDI 5spd. So I was headed to work one morning, my radio shut off and back on a couple of times, then started hearing squealing out of the truck. Volts were low, figured the rebuilt alternator was giving up. So rushed to work and shut it down. When I went to restart it nothing. What I was really hearing was the starter engaging while heading down the road. Got new starter on but it now try’s to crank in the run position not the start position. Thinking it was the starter switch I replaced it still did it, tried a new solenoid still doing it. The signal wire to the solenoid only gets fire in run position and test light barely lights in start. And it does it no matter position of the clutch and have even pulled the plug off the clutch position switch and it will still do it. For some reason that morning it was try to crank because it got power to the solenoid while I was headed down the road. Anybody have any ideas on what to try now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And the red/blue wire coming out of the starter switch is only hot in start position. But the red/blue at the solenoid is hot in run and light barley burns in start.

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
This might help.

In a gas engine, there is a red/blue wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay. That wire is hot when ignition switch is moved to the start position to engage starter relay and the starter.

Action

R643b7557505dd3bbf47650270419d916.gif

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
2012-03-10_204515_start.png

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct that is how it should be working but when I turn the ignition to run it sends 12v to that signal wire. And when you turn it on to the start position it quits. Should be the other way around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured it out, was a connector that a squirrel chewed years a ago. And the wires finally started making contact.

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
I changed the title of the thread since diesels do not have an ignition system.

Action

·
Registered
1964 futura two door hardtop V8 auto - white
1 Posts
I changed the title of the thread since diesels do not have an ignition system.

Action
You have approached the problem like a green pea. Obviously there is a short - start with pulling apart all the wires involved and wrapping suspected problems - Then whereby two wires are close pull one shorter than the other - in other areas simply pull the wires into a different position - This is an intermittance old mans trick learned from the car lot boys. Try to push cloth with a screw driver underneath all places that it could be shorting to ground - this should work - If it does not - then you start replacing one wire at a time -- Start with hot - with a new added fuse - testing each time -- Eventually it will work perfectly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts