Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A few days ago I tried starting my truck and it ran briefly then died and would not re-start. I've owned this truck since new and has always been very reliable. I keep it as a second vehicle and therefore gets very little use (maybe 2,000 miles yearly). Injecting some starting fluid or gas into the intake manifold causes it to fire up instantly. That started me looking for a gas supply problem. I removed the gas filter and fuel pump and both seem to be working outside of the vehicle. It has no problem pulling gas out of a gallon can. After reinstalling them I tried testing for voltage at the fuel pump and didn't get any reading. I couldn't find any blown fuses under the dash (couldn't find any other fuses to check). Also couldn't find evidence of a shorted wire. I'm stumped, anyone have any ideas? Thanks[/FONT]

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had this same problem with my 90 explorer, and it ended up being a shorted wire, same exact thing, it would work then not, utimatly no blow fueses, pump was good i just has a wire that was shorting out on the frame that i didnt see right away. But not saying that your problem but i had the exact same thing to the tee and in the end it was just a bad wire!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I'm makeing a huge assumption here.
In an '88 full size pickup there were TWO fuel pumps. A low pressure one in the tank, and a high pressure on on the driver's side frame rail.

Do you have one pump or two?

Make sure the inertia safety switch is depressed.

Try turning the key to ON and jumpering the fuel pump test pin to ground in the self test connector; if that works your fuel pump relay, inertia switch, pumps, and their grounds are good.

IF that doesn't work, setting that jumper gives you more time to check the circuit.

The PCM or EEC (I use those terms interchangeably) grounds that same pin/wire for only a couple of seconds when you turn the key to ON, it continues to ground it while it recieves a PIP signal (when cranking or if the engine is running). You can take the PCM out of the picture and jumper that test pin and test the circuit.

Look for power at each side of the inertia switch, and then at each of the fuel pumps. If you have power, and the pumps do not come on, then the pump/s are bad, or you have a bad ground. Try supplying a separate ground to the pump. If that works locate and clean the original ground.

The self test connector on full size pickups is located at the driver's side wheel well under the hood next to the fuel pump relay and the EEC relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poppy, the 2.3L Ranger is a small truck. In that case, I'm not sure if your suggestions apply. Anyway, I'll proceed as if they do. You certainly gave me plenty of ideas. Thanks, Roy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
rvjunkie, All my suggestions apply. I just don't know if you have one pump or two. I think you have two.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Napa shows there being two diffrent kinds of pumps for that truck a intank and a in line pump ... LP, HP so yeah i would check both, also have you taken the connector off and seen if you get power to the pump, dont use the connectors ground though use another, you might have power but a bad ground

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
When you figure it out, please post back the solution, an dhow you came about it.
Happy wrenching! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts