Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not content with the selection of 1971 or 1972 Ford LTD's in my area, I'm moving my search up a few decades to something I'm equally interested in: The 1988 to 1991 series Crowns. The last generation with the quad-rectangular glass headlamps, and the (what I call) "cat's-ear" tail lamps.

Anyway, I like these cars, but I'm looking for the one that looks the longest and sleekest. It's really hard to tell amongst the 4 years side-by-side which one has the longest, lowest, widest geometric stance. And within a year, some sub-models appear to vary by dimensions or shape slightly-- or is it my imagination? Can anyone who knows those years well, tell me for sure? Some look a little higher, shorter, and "squattier" to me, and those are the ones I'm trying to avoid.

Any assistance in differentiating the sub-model differences, as it would change slight appearances, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-- John

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Not content with the selection of 1971 or 1972 Ford LTD's in my area, I'm moving my search up a few decades to something I'm equally interested in: The 1988 to 1991 series Crowns. The last generation with the quad-rectangular glass headlamps, and the (what I call) "cat's-ear" tail lamps.

Anyway, I like these cars, but I'm looking for the one that looks the longest and sleekest. It's really hard to tell amongst the 4 years side-by-side which one has the longest, lowest, widest geometric stance. And within a year, some sub-models appear to vary by dimensions or shape slightly-- or is it my imagination? Can anyone who knows those years well, tell me for sure? Some look a little higher, shorter, and "squattier" to me, and those are the ones I'm trying to avoid.

Any assistance in differentiating the sub-model differences, as it would change slight appearances, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-- John
atse1_mm_bing_net_th_b96e24143f60cd7b0ce764db26f51e3e._.jpg

Get a 92 up

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting proposition. I had never thought of going even newer. So now the-- 1992 to "whenever they stopped making them" (2015 or so?)-- era really busts the field wide open! Now I see a ton of them in my immediate San Francisco Bay Area-ness; and I don't have to drive 700 miles to look at a car like I did when I was considering 45 year old cars.

However, now a new problem. I can't tell the difference between the 90's through 2010's Crown Vics. They all sorta' look the same to me, unless they are jet black, have tinted windows, special package options, aftermarket add-ons, etc. I like the idea of a Police Interceptor Package (P-71 I think Wikipedia called it?) but don't know what the pitfalls are, and what I would really like out of all those seemingly similar years. I know there must be a difference between "packs of years", but exactly what, I couldn't say.

If I wanted a late market P-71 that sorta' looked "late 60's/early 70's 'Streets of San Francisco' cool"-- but teleported into the 90's, 00's, or 10's... what would you suggest?

Kinda' stuck. Too much idle time on my hands to think, too ignorant on the subject to make sound decisions. A dangerous place to be indeed.

-- John

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Interesting proposition. I had never thought of going even newer. So now the-- 1992 to "whenever they stopped making them" (2015 or so?)-- era really busts the field wide open! Now I see a ton of them in my immediate San Francisco Bay Area-ness; and I don't have to drive 700 miles to look at a car like I did when I was considering 45 year old cars.

However, now a new problem. I can't tell the difference between the 90's through 2010's Crown Vics. They all sorta' look the same to me, unless they are jet black, have tinted windows, special package options, aftermarket add-ons, etc. I like the idea of a Police Interceptor Package (P-71 I think Wikipedia called it?) but don't know what the pitfalls are, and what I would really like out of all those seemingly similar years. I know there must be a difference between "packs of years", but exactly what, I couldn't say.

If I wanted a late market P-71 that sorta' looked "late 60's/early 70's 'Streets of San Francisco' cool"-- but teleported into the 90's, 00's, or 10's... what would you suggest?

Kinda' stuck. Too much idle time on my hands to think, too ignorant on the subject to make sound decisions. A dangerous place to be indeed.

-- John
You will have to make up your mind on that
Just do some browsing

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. I've done some looking. I've decided that the 1992's through 1997's have a face that only a mother could love! I mean the grille looks like it has a serious under-bite that's beyond what even an orthodontist could fix!!! Not a cool look at all, IMO.
But the 1998's and forward-- a lot better. That grille design really cleans up. I see some nice retired police cars in that era. I especially like black. I'm tired of the Tawney, beige, tan, light yellow (old lady) colors. Been there, done that. I'm looking for all the cool "undercover detective" colors now. You know... black, navy blue, dark red, charcoal gray, or white. So zeroing in... just gotta' wait to see what I can get for my 1968 Ford Galaxie, and then that'll tell me what I can spend on a Crown.
I'm usually in such a hurry to drool over what I see and want to buy, that I don't stop to think about the simple fact that I have zero dollars to work with until I sell mine first. And since it's always more fun to buy than it is to sell, this is going to require patience, self-discipline, and delayed-gratification. Three qualities I'm severely lacking in.

·
Super Moderator
12,893 Posts
"this is going to require patience, self-discipline, and delayed-gratification. Three qualities I'm severely lacking in."

Most cars sales people are looking forward to this kind of buyer. Because when that buyer sees the vehicle the buyer get's emotionallly attached with no other consideration other than to have it. (Usually at any price)

Not saying there is anything wrong with that approach however it usually does not lead to an economical decision.

For me I usually get emotional about a ride then research the crap out of it finding all of the little damn things about it possible and then looking for the exact vehicle that fits. Case in point is I just flew to Florida to buy a 2006 SUV that I could not obtain anywhere else. (with any confidence) And I have been seriously looking since very early in December 2015. After the 2200 mile trip back home in 50 hours and a week of seat time we have emotionally bonded. Well at least I have.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
167 Posts
Okay. I've done some looking. I've decided that the 1992's through 1997's have a face that only a mother could love! I mean the grille looks like it has a serious under-bite that's beyond what even an orthodontist could fix!!! Not a cool look at all, IMO.
But the 1998's and forward-- a lot better. That grille design really cleans up. I see some nice retired police cars in that era. I especially like black. I'm tired of the Tawney, beige, tan, light yellow (old lady) colors. Been there, done that. I'm looking for all the cool "undercover detective" colors now. You know... black, navy blue, dark red, charcoal gray, or white. So zeroing in... just gotta' wait to see what I can get for my 1968 Ford Galaxie, and then that'll tell me what I can spend on a Crown.
I'm usually in such a hurry to drool over what I see and want to buy, that I don't stop to think about the simple fact that I have zero dollars to work with until I sell mine first. And since it's always more fun to buy than it is to sell, this is going to require patience, self-discipline, and delayed-gratification. Three qualities I'm severely lacking in.
Soooooo- what exactly is your 68 Galaxie, and what are you looking to get out of it?

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you want info on the Crown Vics, go to www'crownvic,net. The 1992 to 1997 are about the same except for the P71 (cop cars) and LX (sport model). From 1998 on up, you get the "new" styling, better engine performance (2004 and up), and better suspension. IMHO avoid the air suspension as they seem to have the most problems.

Now if you go over to the Mercury Grand Marquis, it is just a more refined version (as is the Town Car). All three are based on the same chassis and body design, so it is mostly interiors.

·
Registered
55 Posts
'88 - '91's basically identical; both 2dr & 4dr built on same chassis. '79 - '87 also on same chassis but boxier having sharper body lines. At least 2 websites dedicated to Grand Marquis & Crown Vics; google is your friend.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To further on this from twelve and-a-half months ago:

1. What was the criteria for the 88-91 Panther body "boxes" having the side front wing windows, versus not? I see a lot of them both with & without it. (Personally I think the wing window isn't a good look on a late 80's/early 90's car and really cuts down on the size of the front-side windows, thus ruining the car's sleek lines from the side). But that's just my own personal opinion.

Were the w/ vs. w/o wing windows a model-year difference, or a trim (suffix-letter) difference? It gets confusing, because on the dealer brochure websites, I've seen what they've called LX's w/o wing window, and actually, come to think of it, all of the samples in the brochures showed LTD Crown Vics without the wing windows-- so the mystery deepens for me.

2. In this 1988-1991 era, what was the difference between a:

a. Ford LTD Crown Victoria
b. Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX
c. Ford LTD Crown Victoria S ?

Thank you,

-- John

·
Super Moderator
12,893 Posts
Wing window or front vent window. I believe it was an option at the time. And tghis was a time when option packages were just starting. I do not believe vent windows were part of a package however it may be possible.

The sub model difference, LX is top of the line. Certain trim, options and badging were standard. A step up from the base model.
No letters was a base offering
S is a sport model. Some times blacked out trim (Argent) and other things that make the vehile less luxury and more sporty. OR was a stripped down version. For the CV of the era it was a Police or Taxi sub-model used in fleet sales.

>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Action, Thank you. I may have mis-spoke when I said "wing window". I don't know if they open like the 60's wing-windows / vent-windows, or they're just triangular appendages behind the A-pillars (built into the side-windows) that are just there for "decoration" (as it were); but yes... those are the ones I am referring to.

I went on the "Old Car Manual Project" website, and looked up a list of options for this generation of CV's, and no where did it mention the triangle window pieces as an option, or allude to whether or not they were specific to LX, S, or non-suffix sub-models. So now I'm really confused about them. I would probably have to talk to someone who owns one of each (with and without triangle front-side-windows (I mean)), to compare how they managed to get their's-- either with or without. This has turned into a real mystery for something that ought to be so simple to explain. Leave it to FoMoCo.

As for your explanation of the sub-model suffix-letters, that part made a lot of sense, and you answered my question there. Thanks.

-- John

·
Super Moderator
12,893 Posts
We are communicating. It is called a vent window.

Those vent windows do function. They are only available with power windows. And they move down before the main window moves down to vent first.
They may be standard with power windows.
>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
166 Posts
Okay, so maybe that's the criteria I was looking for. If the Crown Vic has power windows then it has vent windows, but if it has manual roll down windows, then it doesn't have vent windows >>> Just a very uneducated guess on my part.

Interesting, I would never think that a vent window swinging open would be part of the power window operation-- and that it would be the lead part of a sequence that also involves the main side window sliding down. That is bizarre. I'm having a hard time picturing that, but it sounds like a neat design.

I'd love to have an '88-'91 Vic (as an additional fun conversation piece), but I'm already committed and up to my eyeballs in alligators with my '70 LTD... so I gotta' pick and choose my toys carefully. (And besides, the little lady would have a fit if I brought home another one right now! LOL)

·
Super Moderator
12,893 Posts
The vent window for the CV of that era does not swing out. It slides down. And I am pretty sure (just not totally sure) that some power windows have the vent and some do not. I believe that power vent was standard on the Lincoln line which ONLY had power windows and not manually operated windows.

As to the quantity of toys, yeah my better half believes I am hoarder. I have been given an extremely strong request of NO MORE.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
12,893 Posts
It was a nice option that didn't get much play so it was dropped. HVAC systems not vent through the instrument panel so a side vent isn't needed as much. And a power side vent likely costs a lot when the venting is done via the HVAC system anyway.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

1 - 17 of 17 Posts