Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, great forum here !

On two occasions while towing in my 351W Bronco it has lost power, coughed, died and would not restart. It acted like it was out of gas so I added gas about 30 minutes later and it started, however, I absolutely know it had 10 gallons of fuel in the tank because I immediately drove to the gas station and filled up.

If a fuel pump goes out I think I can still drive a short distance, lose power, and cough and die. That is what I think happened. So now I am wondering if a clogged fuel filter may have caused this, or if a relay is bad, or perhaps if the fuel pump needs to be replaced.

On the 1989 are there two fuel pumps or one? I know I have one under the driver side door, but is there another one in the tank too?

Before I spend money, I need some tips, sure would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dogsharks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Cheapest route first, check the filter. Take it off and pour it out from the input side, see if you have trash in it. I'd replace it anyway, while it was off. Not that expensive. The one in the tank is cheaper than the one on the frame rail, but harder to get to. If the filter doesn't do it, check for pressure at the input side of the rail pump. This is actually a volumn test on the in tank pump, since it doesn't really acheive much pressure. I believe it was about 1/2 quart in 5 seconds, something like that, been too long since I did one of those tests. If volumn seems to be ok, then check your pressure at the schraeder valve. Should be 40 psi with the key on and engine off, 30 psi engine running. Of course, you could just do that test first to see if fuel was your problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all a big THANK YOU for taking the time to reply.

It is appreciated.

I picked up a filter and fuel pump and fuel injection syste relays today and will make the change. Figured that would cover part of the unknowns.

Regards, best,

Dogsharks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
relays and filter replaced

The forward fuel filter (under the driver left leg, underneath) on this bronco was the EASIEST thing in the world to replace, once I removed the heat deflector panel this was done with fingers, and not other tools were needed. AMAZING.

I also replaced the three relays up front for fuel pump, engine management, and towing

We'll see how it goes next time I get out on the road with a tow......double risk! :)'

Dogsharks

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel filter and relays all replaced. Fuel filter was a real creampuff piece of cake.

I cut the filter in half to see what the element looked like. It the outside filter surface was black. I further cut things apart and found the inside surface of the filter paper looked brown like a paper bag but the outside surface was black and covered with a black slime. This had to be restricting the fuel during the max fuel delivery situation while towing.

I will be able to do a complete tow test in a few days, hope for the best. As for the guy who decided a FoMoCo truck should have a fuel pump in the fuel tank, SHAME ON YOU. Not one of Fords better ideas, and not very darn user friendly.
Regards,
Dogsharks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts