Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Ford E150 Club Wagon 6 cyl.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 96 club wagon. Had been sitting awhile. Put new battery in it and it cranked right up and drove it home. Next day I was going to the store cranked rights up got half way around the block, it died and would not start again. It will crank but not start. Tell me something you experts.

·
Super Moderator
12,901 Posts
You will need to isolate between ignition and fuel
When the key is turned on can you hear the fuel pump in the tank?
Is there fuel in the tank?
Replacing the fuel filter for a vehicle that has been sitting would be prudent.
Depending on engine there is a fuel rail with a schrader valve. (Like a tire valve stem) You could push the valve momentarily after cranking to see if there is fuel there.

Key on engine off does the check engine light come on and shut off?

>>>Action

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition on. If I sprayed some starting fluid would that be a quick diagnosis for a fuel problem? There are a few gallons of gas in the tank. I have never had a van so I am still orienting myself with accessing the components and such.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will need to isolate between ignition and fuel
When the key is turned on can you hear the fuel pump in the tank?
Is there fuel in the tank?
Replacing the fuel filter for a vehicle that has been sitting would be prudent.
Depending on engine there is a fuel rail with a schrader valve. (Like a tire valve stem) You could push the valve momentarily after cranking to see if there is fuel there.

Key on engine off does the check engine light come on and shut off?
will check the check engine light. be back in a few.

·
Super Moderator
12,901 Posts
I would recommend against starting fluid. Remove the air cleaner and see if you can get gasoline in there. If not use stating fluid. Unless you have a diesel. I assume you do not however assuming can be a problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would recommend against starting fluid. Remove the air cleaner and see if you can get gasoline in there. If not use stating fluid. Unless you have a diesel. I assume you do not however assuming can be a problem.
ok will not use starting fluid, I noticed a can in the van already and wondered it the previous owner used it. will get back to the forum asap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok got your notice about the starting fluid, will not use starting fluid. I am starting at step 1. Is the Fuel filter on the rail of the drivers side? I believe I see it but just wanting to be sure. Also the am not sure where the schrader valve is. I can take photos. of what I believe is the parts you are speaking of. I know it is a 6 cyl. I don't know where to find which 6 cyl. it is. But am looking. Would the schrader valve be behind the fuel filter? between the rear of the gas tank and the fuel filter??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok will not use starting fluid, I noticed a can in the van already and wondered it the previous owner used it. will get back to the forum asap.
I believe the motor is a 5.0 the check engine light does not go out after turning the key. But most of the fluid resevours are empty. I have not checked the oil yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,901 Posts
If it is a six cylinder the displacement is 300 CID. Or a 4.9l.
The check engine is amber. Most other are red.
The check engine lint will not change if all the fluids are low or right on. You can take it to a auto parts store like Auto Zone or O'Reillys and they will pull codes for free. The reasone for the codes is causing the check engine light to be on

Action

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it is a six cylinder the displacement is 300 CID. Or a 4.9l.
The check engine is amber. Most other are red.
The check engine lint will not change if all the fluids are low or right on. You can take it to a auto parts store like Auto Zone or O'Reillys and they will pull codes for free. The reasone for the codes is causing the check engine light to be on

Action
We have diagnosed it as a bad fuel pump. Put new filter on and it still wouldn't start. Pressure was low, so I am ordering a new pump. It won't start so taking it to get the codes pulled is not an option.

·
Super Moderator
12,901 Posts
Post back with your end result.

Action

Reactions: Melody Boatner

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I need to know if the fuel pump in the tank is located at the front, middle or rear of the fuel tank. This club wagon only has one tank. I can crawl back under and look but these old bones make it difficult to get back up. LOL

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
I need to know if the fuel pump in the tank is located at the front, middle or rear of the fuel tank. This club wagon only has one tank. I can crawl back under and look but these old bones make it difficult to get back up. LOL
If it only has one tank
It will be in the Tank

1 - 20 of 31 Posts