Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this group and sort of new to Ford.
Sorry in advance if I didn't post this to the correct group.
I have a problem that I am hoping you can point me to some fixes.

I have a 1997 E 150 x-handicap van.
I noticed water under the front floor mat. (Rubber liner not carpet)
I noticed in the foot well area on both sides. But the odd thing is up higher by the firewall is dry.
We have had a lot of rain in SFL lately and I really need to figure out how the water is getting in.

Could it be bad door seals?
I was thinking water would be above on the rubber flooring not under it but who knows.

I know on my Jeep there is a drain and if it gets clogged it will come inside.
Does this van have a similar thing?
I have to pull my seats out and dry it out but need to stop it.

Also I only got keys with the van but it does have power locks. Is there a fob for this year van or do I need to go after market to get one. I would like to make it keyless entry since I already have the power locks.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

CJ

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
Have you tried running water over the door/body seals and see if you can spot the leak

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it stops raining. I did put a web cam in the van to see if m I can capture anything.
Other than sitting in it in 90deg humid weather with the windows up. I am at a loss for ideas .

I read there are some drains that could get plugged but to wet to go looking at the moment.
Not sure where they are. Mentioned front fenders

·
Super Moderator
12,893 Posts
The cowl area just in front of the windshield does collect water and has a drain. Just not sure of how that water would get into the vehicle.

Windshield leak can cause water to drain on the inside of the cowl and that may be how it gets under the floor mat.

Action

Reactions: CJ454

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your suggestions. I'll check that area.
Torrential downpours here for over a week.
Wish it was a 4x4 van lol

·
Super Moderator
12,893 Posts
Where is here? (Or complete your profile with location)

For about 10 years I lived in the Seattle area. I discovered that annual waxing and at least annual cleaning and conditioning of rubber seals greatly reduced any leaks.

I had brought 3 cars from Michigan to Seattle. Two leaked. Ironically the oldest and the newest. After a good coat of wax and conditioning the door seals on the 1 1/2 year old two door the car never leaked. I kept up that routine annually.

The older one took some doing. While the leak slowed or at least the volume was reduced I found a split in a windshield seal that took awhile to find. (Seattle rain is only great a few times in the late winter. Fall and spring are just constant grey with off an on drizzle) Once I found the split I was able to use some liquid sealant to stop the leak.
Over all it was a constant work to keep the water away especially for non-garaged vehicles.

Action

·
Super Moderator
12,893 Posts
As a post script I live in an area where the humidity is 10% or less for much of the time and an annual rain fall of 12 inches. When it does rain it is a very hard and short rain. Cleaning and conditioning of weather strips is far more important now because the environment dries out everything. Plus I bought some weather strips and discovered how expensive they are, ouch. Typically a couple hundred dollars for a pair of reproduction in my collectible cars.

Makes a $10 bottle of Meguiars rubber/vinyl conditioner look like chump change.

>>>>>>>>>Action

Reactions: CJ454

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll be hitting the junk yards to see if I can find any decent ones there first.
Yes I did find some cut in the weather stripping. So I'm banking on that being the issue.

Here is South fl 30 inches of rain in just over a week

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi i finally got to the junk yard and got a new cowl piece. Seems to be helping direct the water away from the windhsield area.
Have not see any water in the van

Also picked up some door seals that were in better shape than mine and put them on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts