Ford Automobiles banner

Should I rebuild or buy used engine from ebay?

• Buy used on ebay

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My expedition engine is bad I'm buying it from a family member but I haven't tried to start it because they said it was blown they let someone work on it and their button from there shirt felI in the engine need some feedback about if I should rebuild it or just replace it with a used one,

IN the rebuild kit it has
Cylinder head gasket set, conversion gasket set, piston ring set, piston set, crankshaft main bearing set, connecting rod bearing set, and crankshaft thrust washer set Included would these help me without pulling the engine out.

Let me know and what I should buy or what kit I should buy

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
You are asking a question that is very hard to answer
First, you don't know what kind of damage yours has without taking yours apart
Is your high mileage?
Do you know anything about the one on E-Bay
A button If plastic should break up and pass through and go out the exhaust valve
So I doubt if that's your problem
Another thing is that I would pull the engine out of the truck so that you will have enough room to do the repair properly
It can be done with the engine in it but you will be cramped up leading to maybe making a mistake

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Why don't you start it? What have you got to loose if it is "blown"? Generally these engines wear out because of lack of maintenance.

I would agree with the above, a plastic button is not likely to cause major damage. And it is possible if the button was metal and small enough the engine would be OK anyway. I have seen spark plug tips go through the modular engine with no damage. The later version has a design where spark plugs are two piece.

Unless the throttle body or intake was off, an object falling would have a difficult time getting into the engine. (See picture) The throttle body faces horizontally forward. Not vertically up.

Need more information .... If you really want the answer to that, do a compression test wet and dry. Or at least some diagnosis. Unless you want to throw parts at the problem. Then it almost doesn't matter the choice. You are relying on luck. Not logic.

Action

Line Font Parallel Automotive engine part Black-and-white

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your advice, I will try to start it and all the things you guys said and yes it does have high mileage my Uncle bought it brand new in 1998 and drove it since. there is a couple on eBay I been looking at but every day I'm writing down information about it.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
The modular engine has two very long chains in the front to operate the over head cams. Those chains have plastic guides.

Changing the oil frequently and using the correct weight is critical to long life of these engines.
Changing out the coolant on schedule with the correct type is key too.
Replacing spark plugs and O2 sensors helps the engine run more efficiently. I change spark plugs every 50,000 miles and O2 sensors every 100,000 miles om ,y 06 5.4l.

Action

1 - 5 of 5 Posts