Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my 3.0L Taurus GL has finally been relieved of it's commute duty and is ready to be worked on. Here is a list of the problems that it has.

-Transmission will somtimes not go into 1st gear unless I manually put it in 1st gear and then it's stuck until I put it into N and then let it sit a while then put it back into D. On occasion it will slam into 1st gear pretty hard also. After that it shifts ok.

-I am assuming the Oil Pump is gone since all of the sudden the oil light came on and I could hear the valves at that point also.

-Lean Condition on Bank #1. This only occurs when I am keeping my speed on a flat road. This only occured after I changed the head gaskets. (compression is good now) (I assume I missed/tore some vaccum line)

-A/C clutch fell off

-Power Steering Pump whines LOUDLY

-And of course brakes and Tires

Now I have a few questions. I had heard I might be able to get a good transmission from the junk yard. Anyone done that and had success/failure? Don't want to pay the 2K required for the trans rebuild. Any Ideas/Experience on the other stuff? And the main question do you think it's worth Fixing?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well, if it has all those problems, you'd be better off finding another one of the same year in better condition and using that one for parts IMO. You have a 50% chance of finding a good trans with low miles in a junkyard. Front drive cars are a PITA to do oil pumps on as well, you gotta pull the motor to do it. If you absolutely love the car, by all means fix it, but do it right if you are going to do it at all.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
powersteering usually does that when low, but if it's been doing it for a while, it's shot.
is it leaking oil, or burning it? check the small things before you go head first into an unnecessary repair. how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not burning or leaking oil. The power steering fluid is good I agree that the pump is probably about shot. It only has 145K on the car. Donor car is a good idea then I could sell the donor car for junk after I am done. It's not that I love the car it's that I hate payments for another car.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I hear ya on the payments, if I didn't love my truck so much, I could do without the 500 a month payment. But I needed a newer, more reliable ride than my old POS Beretta.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeh, Yeh, be gentle when you put it down. It has served you well. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
96 taurus 3.0

I am in PA with a 96 Taurus, transmission rebuilt 5,000 miles ago or so, 105,000 mile runs good except Egr and needs lower ball joint, it was my daughters car and she has moved. I was going to donate it or sell it for $500, don't know if that helps you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trans problem sounds like the selector switch on top of the transmission. The switch output tells the computer what you want and then the computer sends info to the trans to close various solenoids in the trans to get the gear you want.

With all the other stuff wrong, it might not be practical to fix that vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I have come up with a vauge price on what it might cost me to fix it up:

-Transmission could be selector switch. I changed it a few years ago but did not use the alignment tool to put the new one back on. Possibly zero price or rebuld 1800 dollars.

-New A/C clutch 107.00

-Oil Pump 65 dollars

-Lean Condition on Bank #1. Lots of time tracking it down.

-Power Steering pump. Let it whine as long as it works.

-Brakes 40 bucks. Rotors Front 70 bucks.

-Tires 300.

So could be at cheapest around 600 or at the most 2400.

Pennsy24 I appreciate it. That's a good deal However, My wife is due with our 3rd any moment and a trip to PA would not be wise right now. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trans problem sounds like the selector switch on top of the transmission. The switch output tells the computer what you want and then the computer sends info to the trans to close various solenoids in the trans to get the gear you want.

With all the other stuff wrong, it might not be practical to fix that vehicle.
Selector switch sounds like what is wrong with my car also. Where can I find out some information as to how to install one of these?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I don't know about transmissions, but he may be referring to the digital transmission range sensor. They'd be available at any parts store, or you can get a forum discount at rockauto.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally made the decision to sell it and fix up my 93 Ranger. Sold it for 300 bucks not running and no battery. So I think it was a good deal. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
415 Posts
first off its a Taurus and 1st gear sound like input shaft gears ratio sensor not picking up and Manuel lever position sensor not engaging when shift lever moved the first sensor about $30 and the second is $45 but check the smell and color of your fluid before changing parts.? does oil smell burnt or u see little shreads of metal then your do for trans filter and remember if u have a tran pump tool flush the trans lines out with new trans fluid and also flush the trans cooler this will help the trans mission when u put the new filter and seal up and should take u exactly 6 to 8 qts but its well worth it for the trans to run clean but make sure filter and pan are down before cleaning lines

1 - 14 of 14 Posts