Ford Automobiles banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm assuming that the bared insulation was so that you could test at the switch.
Don't you just love it when the diagram shows two wires, and you see four!?

If you do end up dropping the tank, remember that gas will weigh about 10 lbs per gallon.
I didn't expose the core. It was like that when I went to check it. Apparently at some point in the past someone felt the need to check it. I don't know which is heavier, water or gasoline. Water weighs 8.6 pounds per gallon.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Water is heavier.
SO I guess that means that it won't hurt quite as much if it crashes down on your chest. :yikes:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
LOL... that'll teach me to just make up numbers eh?

The point I intended to make, is that the more gas in the tank, the heavier it will be, and if and when he drops the tank he should be prepared for the weight, and don't get hurt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Welp, tonight was the first time I've had a chance to look at the car again. The 6 bolts on the fuel pump we easy to access. I disconnected the two lines but now the pump will not pull out. I can get it a few inches out, enough to SEE the electrical connector attached to the pump from the INSIDE. What I don't know is if the wire to that connector is not long enough to allow me to pull the pump all the way out. I'm afraid if I slide a screwdriver in there and wedge the connector off and it's NOT the problem, that I won't be able to get in there to reconnect it without dropping the tank. The catch-22 is even if I DO have to drop the tank, I can't do it without pulling that connector off of the pump. Oh the HORROR......the horror!

Wait a minute. (brain fart).....even if I pull the connector off from the inside, that still leaves the pump dangling from the wire harness above. WTF!!!???:mad2:

Ok, 2 hours later....I've got the tank ready to drop. I've got the pump out to where I can grab the connector but I can't pull it off. This makes no sense. Even, as I said, if I pull off that connect to the INSIDE of the fuel pump, that still leaves it dangling from the wiring you see in the picture above. Does that harness disconnect somewhere? If so, the factory service manual doesn't say that. I'd say you damn near need a college degree to read the manual but then again I AM in my 2nd year of college.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welp, tonight was the first time I've had a chance to look at the car again. The 6 bolts on the fuel pump we easy to access. I disconnected the two lines but now the pump will not pull out. I can get it a few inches out, enough to SEE the electrical connector attached to the pump from the INSIDE. What I don't know is if the wire to that connector is not long enough to allow me to pull the pump all the way out. I'm afraid if I slide a screwdriver in there and wedge the connector off and it's NOT the problem, that I won't be able to get in there to reconnect it without dropping the tank. The catch-22 is even if I DO have to drop the tank, I can't do it without pulling that connector off of the pump. Oh the HORROR......the horror!

Wait a minute. (brain fart).....even if I pull the connector off from the inside, that still leaves the pump dangling from the wire harness above. WTF!!!???:mad2:

Ok, 2 hours later....I've got the tank ready to drop. I've got the pump out to where I can grab the connector but I can't pull it off. This makes no sense. Even, as I said, if I pull off that connect to the INSIDE of the fuel pump, that still leaves it dangling from the wiring you see in the picture above. Does that harness disconnect somewhere? If so, the factory service manual doesn't say that. I'd say you damn near need a college degree to read the manual but then again I AM in my 2nd year of college.
Take a look inside the trunk under where the spare tire is, There should be a splice/plug that you can disconnect. It goes through the trunk body via a rubber plug/seal that you should be able to pull out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well that hole in the trunk where the plug is DOES go to the tank but it's a very small line. The bigger harness that goes to the fuel pump goes up and into a place that human hands can't go. I've included a pic. PART of that harness goes up into another hole in the trunk that is very near the rear window in the upper cargo area. I can SORT OF see what might be a plug way up behind that black metal that runs the width of th car but there is no way human hands are getting in there. I'd say they routed the wiring wrong and then put that black metal piece in and then installed the shock springs. Yes, that would all have to come out to get to the connector. That being said, I pray to God that the pump is not bad. It if IS bad then I have no alternative but to splice the wires in. There's no damn way I'm dropping the rear suspension to get to a damn plug to for the fuel pump. That's just friggin stupid! The tank is out as you can see. As soon as daughter gets home I'm going to have her try the key again and see if I get it to hum to life.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It may be a little different from a CV to a GM but just in case I'm attaching 2 picts of where I found the plug on my car. The plug/splice is underneath the rubber trunk seal, Just inside the hole you can see the top of the plug. I'm guessing the plug is around 12" to 18" from the pump itself. Maybe a little tug/wiggle on the wires will expose the plug.
I hope this helps a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
In case you didn't know, this is a Grand Marquis. If you look in one of the pics you can see blue through the hole after I removed the grommet. It's the same one you're referring to but that wire to the pump does'nt go through there. I looks like it pigtails or tees right where it disappears above the black metal support. By the way, I had the daughter turn the key and the pump does absolutely nothing. Doesn't solve my problem. It STILL could be the wiring.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes i know It's a Grand Marquis:) (GM = Grand Marquis CV = Crown Victoria) The main thing I was showing with the pictures was the approx location of where the plug should be even if our wires are routed a bit differently. Judging by your pictures It looks like the plug should be in that general area, In your case It looks like it would be just under the black metal piece. Maybe you could snake something through the hole and grab the wires? (just a thought) On another note, I was looking at some pictures of replacement fuel pumps and it (looks like) you should be able to replace just the pump motor and save a few bucks over buying the whole fuel pump assembly. Or you could just try a Salvage yard.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It looks like the plug should be in that general area, In your case It looks like it would be just under the black metal piece. Maybe you could snake something through the hole and grab the wires? (just a thought) On another note, I was looking at some pictures of replacement fuel pumps and it (looks like) you should be able to replace just the pump motor and save a few bucks over buying the whole fuel pump assembly. Or you could just try a Salvage yard.
Saving $$$ is always a good thing! I'm thinking that the connector should never have been placed where it is. I can almost see it from the drivers side but the window of visibility is SO narrow! But again, first things first. I have to make sure it's not a power issue. Thanks Robert!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes that is do-able and a good idea. I don't want bimmerknut to get lost so when he gives acknowledgement, I'll move it, later today.
Hey Poppy I'm have the same problem no start. I've replace relays and pump and still nothing. Could you help me out with any info

41 - 53 of 53 Posts