1st Maverick here? | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1st Maverick here?

Discussion in 'Ford Maverick' started by Dilly4Chilly, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Dilly4Chilly

Dilly4Chilly New Member

Looks like i'm the 1st Maverick here thats pretty sweet
  2. Canuck623

Canuck623 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Sweet indeed. lets see some pictures. I love the old Maverick.
  3. Cuda_jim

Cuda_jim Active Member Respected Member

30 Miles North of Detroit, soon to be 300 LOL
    [​IMG]

Just another reason to use this ridiculous picture haha
  4. Zephyrman

Zephyrman Active Member

Mavericks are cool. Also, they were replaced by the Fairmont/Zephyr, which is also cool. Interesting random fact, the first car my Grandmother ever bought herself was a 77 Mav. The first car she ever bought new was an 81 Fairmont. Wierd huh?
  5. Jonzo77

Jonzo77 Well-Known Member

don't forget they took over where the falcon left off.
    what year & engine?
  6. Dilly4Chilly

Dilly4Chilly New Member

first of all you guys are picture whores my brother will post them for me later and 2 76 2-door with a 250 inline six soon to be a v8
  7. Jonzo77

very cool. i've been looking for a 71-72 myself. the ones with the cool as hell grabber hood...
  8. Jonzo77

9. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member Respected Member

I had a '74 Comet for a few years, it had a glove box. The Comet was the Lincoln/Mercury twin to the Maverick. In a way, I liked the Mavericks better, because they had that long shelf under the dash instead of the glove box.

Jonzo,
    That maverick is cool, but if I was in the market like you, I'd save your Ex's Fairmount Durango from the junkyard.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
    Ashzo77 likes this.
  10. Ashzo77

Ashzo77 Member

who says he can't have both? more toys for me joe...
  11. Ashzo77

Ashzo77 Member

where are you located? i think i know a guy who might be interested in the 250 when you're done with it. i think he wants to throw a turbo on it, and put like 20lbs of boost into one, or something like that...:crazy:
  12. CanyonGT

CanyonGT New Member

here's a pic i have of it. we are in newton, iowa.

Attached Files:

13. Dilly4Chilly

Dilly4Chilly New Member

i'll lets you guys know be4 i pull it and jonzo that mav is b.a
  14. Dilly4Chilly

Dilly4Chilly New Member

Idk i think i like the comets more i think they have a little more style
  15. CanyonGT

CanyonGT New Member

a pic i found from last summer he had 63 mercury hubcaps on it.

Attached Files:

16. Stymees'mont

Stymees'mont Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Sweet !! I would love to own one myself as well. My brother had one with a stock 302.
    The all Ford bone yard near me has several and a couple Grabber hoods as well...........damn I should have kept that a secret.....:mad2:
  17. Racer5349

Racer5349 New Member

I had a 72 I think. Got it with the crankshaft literally snapped in half (302). I swapped a '68 289 in it. Most painful swap of my life. The 429/C6 I stuck in a '79 Mustang was a breeze by comparison. I loved that Mavvy!
  18. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

Hi, I am new to the forum and decided to join after I saw this section. I thought I would put my first post here. I bought a Maverick as my first car when I turned 16. I wish that I could tell you that I loved the car when I had it. Truth of the matter was that I hated it. It was a 1970, 2-door with a 6 cylinder. It had power nothing, "armstrong" steering and brakes and "four-seasons" A/C. Only two options were AM radio and heater. I had no idea what I had, nor did I appreciate it. This was in 1987 so the car was 17 years old, had 30K miles and was in immaculate condition. White with a red interior.

Why did I hate it you ask? Well, for starters, I was 16 and my Dad gave me no option. I could either buy this car for the $500 asking price or not have wheels. As a now 40 year old father of two boys. I appreciate everything that was done for me. He used that car to teach me everything that I know about cars, a little humility as well as an effective means of birth control (not exactly a chick magnet).

The reality is that the car served me well for 8 years and 100K miles. I sold it in 1995 with 130K miles for $600. Today, I wish I had the car back. I had a chance to buy a '74 with 60K miles on it about 3 years ago for $1500 and feel like I should have bought it. Being that I am new to the forum, I cannot post pics but I will return and post a pic of the car when I am able. It was a great car and when I look at the body today, I see so much potential as a pro-touring or a resto-mod.
  19. BQQMPA

BQQMPA New Member

I bought a brand spanking new 1972 Maverick Grabber, light green with the green racing stripes down the hood and trunk...with a V8 Auto...$3000 ...what I remember most was the 5200-D carburetor...the pump diaphragm on the front of the carburetor would leak. So dummy me, I bought 6 of them to replace when they went bad...did not know enough to raise hell with the Ford dealer to do something about this obvious engineering mistake...
  20. dyngrngalaxie

dyngrngalaxie Active Member Respected Member

Bought a brand new medium blue '76 Maverick 2dr, 200 automatic. No ps or pb, just a radio. Traded in a '70 Galaxie on a '74 Newport Custom 4dr hdtp in Feb '76. Put up with the chrysler for 4 months & bought the Maverick. The normal reaction from people was that a Maverick must have been a real let down after the Chrysler. Not really! The Maverick, just like all the Fords I've had, started immediately when you turned the key, took you where you wanted to go, when you wanted to go. What a treat after 4 months of wringing your hands wondering if the car would start today!
    Funny thing that so many people like to pelt s... at Fords. I just sit back and ask them: "who's the fussiest guy here, and what does he drive?" By the way, by '76, they had glove compartments.
    Jonzo77 likes this.