Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my new 2005 E150 (155K miles) on a hard 2,500 mile run from LA to Portland and back. Much central valley to coast mountain miles covered and temperatures up to 110F at times and I'm very happy. Averaged 17 mph on whole trip and used almost no oil.
Transmission was still rough in and out of overdrive and at low speed in and out of first particularly when fluid very hot.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
The last full sized Econoline I had was a 1990 E 150. The highest GVWR for a 150. I towed a very large boat.

Had the same issues with the transmission fluid heat. End up adding 2 transmission oil air coolers for a total of 3 coolers.
A large after market one in front of the AC condenser
A small Aerostar AT fluid cooler that bolted under the radiator area (see picture)
And of course the factory cooler built into the radiator

I am not sure of the order other than the factory cooler was last before fluid returned to the transmission. My though was if the fluid was cooled too much OR I traveled to Flagstaff in the winter I wanted the fluid to be heated up by engine coolant before going into the transmission

>>>Action

at cooler.jpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do I just live with this? Any thicker tranny fluid to use or any addative? Do I just put up with this till the tranny dies or goes on for ever?

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
There really isn't different viscosity transmission fluid like engine oil.

The transmission would works a lil different. They just want to keep the temp down.
I would add a cooler. If you want to get serious, add a temp gauge. The goal is to keep the fluid temp below 200.
If you can install a sensor on the line coming out of the transmission to the coolers up front that is going to be the hottest.

>>>Action

1 - 4 of 4 Posts