Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
factory axle cracked on drivers side about a foot in or so,
replaced with another 2000 axle, 8 months later that one cracked as well
went and grabbed one out of an 96 much heavier duty,the only thing i did was switch the hubs,the 96 has greaseable hubs where the 2000 had sealed hubs,maybe i should had left the older style in,at least you can grease them,but sealed ones are usally pretty good i guess will see haha
anyways here are some pics, from 99 to 2002 be aware of this and have it checked! i reported mine to the highway saftey board and have recieved many questions about it,also had a lawyer contact me,guess someone is going after them, anyways who ever has this problem please file a complaint,would be nice to see ford fix this,theres no way the rears should be going in these vans! also engine cradles are rotting out as well,

engine cradle
ai273.photobucket.com_albums_jj225_juiced408_winstar_20rear_winstarrfsubframe2.jpg

Factory rear -
ai273.photobucket.com_albums_jj225_juiced408_winstar_20rear_2000fordvanrear2ndrear1.jpg

Replacement rear -
ai273.photobucket.com_albums_jj225_juiced408_winstar_20rear_replacementrearoutofa96fordwinst_3.jpg

ai273.photobucket.com_albums_jj225_juiced408_winstar_20rear_P1040513.jpg

ai273.photobucket.com_albums_jj225_juiced408_winstar_20rear_replacementrearoutofa96fordwinstar7.jpg

hope this info helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
So you're saying the older style rear is a direct bolt in swap ?
Does that include that stupid tire pressure light on the dash as well ?

Mine is 1/2 way gone, and I'm limping it as far as I can until I can find a suitable replacement.
NEW, an unit from Ford will run $500 list price. Seen them for $100 less though, but shipping runs it back up. Same wait time regardless (since the dealer needs to order it too).

If the front cradle is going out...geez...you'd think I could literally drop the car off at a recycler and get some money (not a junk yard, but where you drop off cans and bottles).

This van is the biggest, rustiest POS I've ever owned, and I've owned MANY cars from the 70's.....

I gotta take my dash warning lights out....needs an emissions test :rolleyes5:
They won't touch it if ANY lights are on the dash. :mad2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not sure how the tire pressure thing mounts up, mine doesnt have it. but 95 to 2002 are all the same,so i was told,i went with a 96 because i didnt see any complaints on that rear, which i see why, that one is built pretty good,the only thing i did was switch out the rear hubs, 2000 are sealed bearings,
i heard doorman is making these rear now, not sure what the cost is tho..
my advise to you is buy a new one or get an older one like i did, when i first axle went i replaced it with the same year thinking what are the chances of it going again,i prolly just got a bad one from the factory,well the second one went again 8 months later,
file a complaint with the highway saftey board, im sure someone here has the direct link i had it but never saved it, they did contact me and asked what speed it failed at , but thats the last i heard from it,so who knows, but most people never file anything,so nothing gets done..
get your codes read.. even if you take the light out ,the emissions machine will still pick up codes, i think your allowed to have up to two codes stored or something and still pass ?
all in all my van has 172 thousand miles on it,and i know things are gona go, but i just cant get past the enging cradle and rears going on these things,thats something that should out live the car, but like they say nowa days ,it is what it is lol
good luck with your van, keep us updated please..

·
Registered
43 Posts
The thing is - I only have issues with the ABS and the tire pressure throwing any lights at the moment....nothing else, and when I plug my scanner in there are no codes.

Guess we'll see tomorrow.....I'm gonna go get the emissions done :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey let us know how you make out...

·
Registered
43 Posts
So with the ABS, Brake, and tire inflation bulbs pulled, it was less than a 5 minute and $30 trip thru emissions...lol. Passed. Just hooked up to OBD2 and not 2 min later done.

Found a 97 axle, its getting pulled between now and Monday, so I gotta call back Monday to check their status.

Hit a deer Thursday morning, knocked out my headlight and dented up the front plastic, messed it up a bit. Snagged an almost new looking headlight at the same yard I ordered (lol) the axle from. But the back side where the bulbs mount aren't the same (mine has 3 screws and a big rubber gasket, this new one has no screws and a smaller gasket).
Anyone have the bulb holder that goes on the back side of the bulb for the 'no screw' model ???

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well good news and bad news, prolly better off grabbing the right year. if you cant find one let me know, i was down the yard and found a 2000 windstar and i believe the headlights are still there ..

·
Registered
43 Posts
what was good & bad ?

emission good
deer bad lol

yeah, if you could eye up that '00 dr side headlight part i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah emissions good deer bad lol
i will look into it

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I went back for the axle, it was the newer 'U' design. :yikes:

So I hammer checked it...lol. Seemed solid. Pretty good shape really. Also grabbed that headlight piece I needed.

Install went so fast for the axle that my mom and dad were amazed that I started it, took 2 hrs to get it out (fought to get the e-brake cables off). Then took a 3 hr break for a meeting I had to go to....then came back and finished and road tested it (and bled brakes, which feel a lil better now) in another 2 hrs. Put new shocks on and she feels great (insert Tony Tiger).

Now to find the money to change the front struts....:crazy:

And haven't (knock on wood) had anymore trans issues, even in all the heat we're having.....might take it on a longer road trip to find out. :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
excellent!! good luck with that axle

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone know who would take the axle for analysis or for PROOF that its a POS ?

Or should I contact the NHt....whomever to see what they say ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ford Field Service Action 10S13 addresses this problem for corrision states.

·
Registered
487 Posts
From www.Bloomberg.com Good News, I think:

--------
Ford Motor Co. said it is recalling 575,000 Windstar minivans in the U.S. and Canada because rear axles may corrode and break.
The voluntary recall affects 1998 to 2003 model-year Windstars in areas where road salt is used in cold weather, according to a notice today on the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website.
“After many years of vehicle service in these areas, corrosion can weaken the rear axle, making it susceptible to torsional stress,” Ford said in a report posted on NHTSA’s site.
Ford, based in Dearborn, Michigan, has received about 950 complaints alleging cracking in the rear axle, including seven that resulted in accidents causing three injuries, Said Deep, a Ford spokesman, said in a telephone interview.
The company will repair the recalled vehicles free of charge by installing brackets to reinforce the rear axle, Ford said in the statement.
The U.S. auto-safety agency opened an investigation into the defect in May after receiving 234 complaints alleging rear- axle failures.
-------

GB

·
Registered
43 Posts
Will they reimburse us if we've changed the axle already ?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Will they reimburse us if we've changed the axle already ?
IF you replaced it with a similar era axel, then you may still need to bring it in, because I think the recall adds some reinforcement.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Just some info on the recall. Our van is in for it now. They said it's a two part recall, first time in they grind off the corrosion protection in certain areas check for cracks and hairline cracks. They also take several measurements from the wheels, then they re-apply corrosion protection (sorry I don't remember if they said the just re-coat where they removed or if they re-coat everything). The second part (since Ford doesn't have replacements ready just yet) is actually replacing\adding re-enforcement parts.

You should receive two recall letters from Ford, one for part one, the other for part two.

Luckily ours checked out with no safety issues, so we pick it up tonight, what happens if they deem it unsafe to drive, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
factory axle cracked on drivers side about a foot in or so,
replaced with another 2000 axle, 8 months later that one cracked as well
went and grabbed one out of an 96 much heavier duty,the only thing i did was switch the hubs,the 96 has greaseable hubs where the 2000 had sealed hubs,maybe i should had left the older style in,at least you can grease them,but sealed ones are usally pretty good i guess will see haha
anyways here are some pics, from 99 to 2002 be aware of this and have it checked! i reported mine to the highway saftey board and have recieved many questions about it,also had a lawyer contact me,guess someone is going after them, anyways who ever has this problem please file a complaint,would be nice to see ford fix this,theres no way the rears should be going in these vans! also engine cradles are rotting out as well,

engine cradle View attachment 4918

Factory rear - View attachment 4919

Replacement rear - View attachment 4920
View attachment 4921
View attachment 4922
hope this info helps :thumbsup:
Is there any other rear end that you know of that will fit on an 03 Windstar

1 - 20 of 21 Posts