Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my son has a 2001 Escape and it has a front end clunk to it when going over bumps big or small. We were taking a look at things and ball joints and tie rods all seem good, struts are good, just put new sway bar end links on it so they are good. But one thing that does not look so good is the control arm bushings on both the drivers and pass. side.

My question is has anyone changed these and are they difficult to change ? Also are they pressed in ?

Thanks for any input..

Joe...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Clunking and creaking from the fron end of an Escape is usually the swaybar links being dry and worn and the rubber bushings at the rear of the control arms.You can Disconnect the swaybar links and see if the noise goes away or you could look at the frame area just above the control arm bushings.If the paint is worn away on the inner edge of the frame by the outer edge of the control arm the bushings are toast.There is a TSB on checking these bushings but the number escapes me at this time (no pun intended).It has to do with the size of the cracks in the rubber bushing.I have seen bushings for sale separately but the install process may be difficult for the DIY'r.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You can change them and yes they are pressed in. They are a little tricky because they are not square to the control arm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts