Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem, and here is what I have attempted so far.

First of all, suddenly the other day our truck wouldn't turn over. We began with attempting a jump, however it didn't change anything.

Today, I began troubleshooting the problem. Firstly, I figured the starter solenoid. It would start by jumping the studs on the solenoid however would do nothing else. So I replaced the solenoid. Still, same problem.

Then I proceeded to check the voltage from the ignition switch to the solenoid. Came up with 2.5 volts constant in the on position, and 9.7 in the start position. My first thought was that the voltage was just low for some reason so I jumped from the positive on the battery to the input on the solenoid. It turned over just fine with 12.15 volts.

So, tonight I changed the ignition switch. Still nothing. However, now I get 0 voltage to the solenoid in any position. I'm dumbfounded to say the least.

At this point I'm wondering if either we've got a bad wire going from the switch to the solenoid. Otherwise I have yet to figure out if there is a computer between the two.

Any help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Inspect the ignition switch plug and remember it goes through the mlp sensor (neutral safety switch) so have you tried starting it in neutral ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inspect the ignition switch plug and remember it goes through the mlp sensor (neutral safety switch) so have you tried starting it in neutral ?
Ignition switch plug looked fine as far as I could tell. Any suggestions as what to look for there?

I didn't even think about the neutral safety switch, will trying to start in neutral bypass that switch?

·
Registered
623 Posts
no but it follows a different path in the switch.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Does it have a security system on it? My Buick Regal won't turn over if the security system is activated. Some systems have a fuel shut off while others offer an ignition shut down... Not saying this is the problem. Just a possibility..

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, here is an update.

Today, we tore into it some more. Started out by messing with the shifter and trying to start it. In certain positions it would start, in others it wouldn't. So with that being the case, the only thing that made sense was the neutral switch. Swapped that out.

Now it won't start in park at all. We played with it as before and it wouldn't turn over. In neutral it will start everytime now.

This is getting really confusing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
There is an alignment tool, to set the alignment, and it can be adjusted.
Unfortunately I don't know how.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
to align the digital transmission range sensor.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
My friends at broncozone.com gave me voltage readings that the the sensor should send so that the PCM knows where the shift lever is.
I don't know if it is the same for your truck.
I have the E4OD in 1990 bronco.

I'll try to locate that thread for you, it wouldn't hurt to take a look.

BRB

·
Registered
623 Posts
There is an alignment tool but you can do it without it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So from what you guys are saying, I need to tweak the alignment of the neutral sensor?

I'm definitely thinking phantom is right about not needing a tool to do it, just a matter of loosening the bolts and twisting.

Sorry, poppy, but I guess I'm not understanding why you are posting info for a completely different model and year range.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
The broncos, F150's and expeditions are all essentially the same.

If you followed the link there are two methods for adjusting, and it was mentioned that you don't need the tool.

Reactions: jmack5055

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The broncos, F150's and expeditions are all essentially the same.

If you followed the link there are two methods for adjusting, and it was mentioned that you don't need the tool.
I understood that that are pretty much the same, but even at that large of a year difference?

Yeah, I looked at the link and saw the methods, gonna go give it a go here in a little while.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I understood that that are pretty much the same, but even at that large of a year difference?

Yeah, I looked at the link and saw the methods, gonna go give it a go here in a little while.
The E4OD was the precursor to the 4R70W which is the trans that you probably have in your truck. I'd say that the pictures of the sensor look pretty much the same to me. Besides I knew that I could locate those instructions there. IF they don't work for you, you are none the worse for the effort.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts