Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All;

Just purchased the car in Jan. 2010.
The car started acting up so the following was done.

Changed Spark Plugs
Replace Hose on the back of block (Rotted into)
User Mass Air Flow cleaner to clean the: Mass Air Flow unit.

Sounds like the car is trying to cut off, almost like an oxygen sensor is going bad, but the guy over at the garage and Auto Zone ran the test and they stated it was the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
So, I cleaned it and still the same issue.

Thank you
Wayne

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Mark;

I have looked all over and the [mass air flow sensor]
Is there a place that sells only the sensor itself instead of with the closer that it attaches to?

They are really expensive and funds are so low right now.

Thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea that is the bad part, The manufactures way of making more money in a bad economy.

Question.
I unplugged the Mass Air Flow sensor to see if it would make a difference in the way the idle goes to crap, and it did not make a difference.
Which makes me think that it may not be the Mass Air Flow sensor.

I read where some people run this test and if the idle changes, then it is the Sensor and if it does not change, then it is not the Sensor but is something else causing the issue.

Any idea's on this theory?
Just wish that I can remember the forum I read it on.

Going to search and see if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
your MAF has 4 wires that come off it right? if so you can get one from another vehicle with the same harness. the other side of it you have to get the housing that came with the sensor, or it won't work. If you unplugged the MAF on a car designed to use it, it would run like crap anyways, so what you did was useless. if the sensor was bad it would do the same as if it were disconnected...

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Totally wrong. This part was designed waaaayy before the market went to crap and these parts usually outlast some of the cars!

This is a precision made instrument, as you can see when it gets out of whack what happens to the car.

With todays cars you can not eliminate electronic parts and still keep the engine running without doing a full computer retune.

Best bet is to call a junkyard and tell them the make model and engine size of your car so you can get the correct part.

FYI... two mass airflow sensors that look alike may not be alike unless they were calibrated the same. Also some mass airflow sensors are not serviceable, this means they CAN NOT be cleaned.

Yea that is the bad part, The manufactures way of making more money in a bad economy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regardless of when the part was made,
It is a known fact that part for cars are extremely high.

Example, you can purchase this part from a company that states they sell the part 75% below retail cost, they sell it for $125.00 Retail is $259.00
Now, you go to another company and they sell it for $110.00 and state that retail is only $195.00.

Regardless of when the part came out, you have to watch out for companies trying to make you think that a part of more than what it actually is, as they want you to think that you are saving money going to them.
And anyone knows that you do not purchase from the manufacture as they will charge you the retail plus their price, as they wanted almost $300.00 for this part when I called them yesterday.

So, Bad economy or good economy.
The prices are too high, and it is only going to get worse.

Totally wrong. This part was designed waaaayy before the market went to crap and these parts usually outlast some of the cars!
------
Sorry, I do not know the error codes.
We can get them tomorrow and post back tomorrow evening on what they are and then go from there.

Thank You all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
um.. idk where you get your info, but if you unplug the MAF the car SHOULD idle like ****.. im going with a faulty sensor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
um.. idk where you get your info, but if you unplug the MAF the car SHOULD idle like ****.. im going with a faulty sensor.
I unplugged it and it did not change, so idle like **** it was already doing.

Where did I get my info? Don't you just love the Internet?
People post that on test and others try the test, regardless of rather or not there is any science behind it, it is the fact that at the time that you read it, you are willing to try anything to find the issue.
If what you read works than you you are 1 step away from issue being solved. If the what you read does not work, then you do not bother with that person's information again.

As I mentioned above.
Don't you just LOVE the internet. It is full of people stating: idk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Carrzkiss,

There is a driveability TSB regarding rough, low idle and stalling on your Taurus, which pertains to the IAC.

I am attaching TSB03-3-5 for your reference.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are 2 images of the papers that was given to my Mother when she went over to them the other day.
Hopefully this will make since to you all.

Let me know if this is not what is needed.
Click on images to get the larger image, they are HUGE.

Thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
Attached is Ford's TSB04-17-4 for System Lean Diagnostic Troubles Codes, which include DTC code P0174 on 2000 to 2004 Taurus.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
:)
Missy, and you wonder why you have one of the better reputations on this site. :rolleyes:
Geez, I am glad that you are here!
Quite the wealth of knowledge you have! :)
Thanks for being a part of the team :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts