Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a thumping noise when under presure have tried several things to find the problem pulled intake checked rockers and push rods changed plugfs and wires pulled oil pan and checked all internal parts and timing chain and fly wheel bolts still thumping noise when under load idle fine but when under load misses and thunps with or with out fan belt installed ty .

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey there Badboy,

Your "thumping" noise under load, is it a slow, deep, dull thump type noise? Or is the noise more like the sound of a hockey card running across the spokes of a bicycle? Can you also feel this "thump" under load through the accelerator pedal?

You removed the upper intake - Did you replace the Isolator Bolts with the new "updated" ones? Did you check the baffle inside the upper intake for any cracks or breaks? Did you check the IMRC Actuator Rod Clips/Retainers?

You replaced the plugs & wires - Did you have a check engine light on? If so, did you have it scanned? If so, what were the codes?

What about the coil pack? This is the Forums "How To" for 3.8L Windstar's.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/for...to-check-ignition-coil-pack-3-8-windstar.html

I am attaching a few "noise" related TSB's specific to Windstar's for your reference - they may or may not apply.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

yes i checked every thing replaced all updated bolts checked coil; pack
its a thumping sound like an ac compressor when they go bad but it does it when the belt is off ive removed the oil pan and inspected all rods and mains
timing chain looks good and tentioner im thinking its the balancer shaft after doing some checking today when u put load on it the balance shaft runs off the cam so when under load im thinking there is slack in the balance shaft and its pushing it back against the block in rear of engin whats ur thoughts and no check engin light and no codes i think the missing is comming frome the knock sensor when it starts the thumping been a mechanic 20 years but never had one do this lol

·
Registered
659 Posts
its a thumping sound like an ac compressor when they go bad
That has always sounded like the hockey card in the spokes of a bicycle to me, and noises are NOT my strong suit these days...

If I recall correctly, it's been a while, doesn't that sound like the cam sensor synchronizer when the bushings get dried out inside??? Would that not also account for the miss??? Just a thought....

·
Registered
11 Posts
well i have a thumping noise when under presure have tried several things to find the problem pulled intake checked rockers and push rods changed plugfs and wires pulled oil pan and checked all internal parts and timing chain and fly wheel bolts still thumping noise when under load idle fine but when under load misses and thunps with or with out fan belt installed ty .

I have the same problem. Have done:
1. Changed oil and filter
2. changed fuel filter
3. changed out coil pack, spark plug wires, spark plugs.
4. replaced camshaft and crank sensor
5. took off front valve cover, checked valves
6. valve compression test-al lvalves tested 120-130 psi, totally fine.
7. cleaned egr metering ports, 2, 5 and 6 were gunked closed.

My landlord tried to prevent our filing a wage garnishment on him for non-payment of fees he lost during an eviction lawsuit, that we won hands down. I found anti-freeze on the left or rear side of the fuel filter, and the symptoms sounded like those mentioned for anti-feeze being used like sugar in the fuel intake. I have run tons of seafoam and b-12 chemtool in it, and each time the problems stop. This last time, we were going home, uphill, and it started knocking/popping.

any clues?

Here is a video of the noise...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01T1R2Aecdg"]Car Problem For Automotive forums - YouTube[/ame]

And one of the valve cover being off...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIBOVLYLBMw"]Valve Cover Removed - YouTube[/ame]

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Man that sounds like it's in the bottom end
Have you tried pulling a plug wire off one cylinder at a time and see if the sound lessens.
The 3.8 in my Bird had a noise like that and we decided that it was the crankshaft.
Put a reman crank kit in it same noise the problem was an out of round connecting rod that we should have checked before installing the crank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts