Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 ford taurus. on the way home it dies suddenly and won't restart. so i have it towed home and proceed to try to find the problem. i have tinkered with hotrods all my life so first thing i did was test fuel pressure to the rail, 45 psi. then i check spark, nice and hot. all fuses are good, full tank, and everything else on the car works great. i pulled the air intake hose loose enough to spray starting fluid in it cranked sprayed and started and ran great as long as i was fueling it with the starting fluid. so i have boiled it down to my injectors are not opening in the run position because it starts then dies immediately. what in the world is up with this thing?
things i tried
iac
fuelpump
coil pack
crankshaft sensor
ing module (under dash)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
The camshaft position sensor gives the signal to the PCM for timing of the injector opening.

Did you pull codes?

You can use a test light, or noid light to see if you are getting signal to the injectors, and you can use a mechanics stethosocpe to listen to them clicking, but neither will determine if they are clogged.

·
Registered
532 Posts
How about the fuel pressure regulator , is it before or after the connection to the rail ? Just wondering where you checked the pressure .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looked over the motor when i was trying to figure this out and totally missed the camshaft positioning sensor which is hidden under the main harness. i assumed ford did not use one on it. with Poppy's suggestion i looked over the engine schematic saw the the sensor went to the car and located it. i havn't picked one up yet but i am pretty sure that is the culprit. i will let you know when the part stores open tuesday if it worked. thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
had one in the shop from doing a 4.2 to a 3.8 conversion. the 3.8 camshaft sensor carries the same part #. swapped and still no go. are there any other sensors on ford that are required for start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i checked the pressure at the shrader valve on rail. with new pump registers almost 50 psi. leakdown over night still above 40. it runs on starting fluid great. no injector pulse after start. to clarify it will start on its own for about 1-2 seconds then dies immediately. so there for the injectors are opening initially then pulse stops and engine dies. could a malfunctioned security module do this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hot side of injector harness perfect all the way to each injector nice bright crisp light. by the way i am using a test light i don't have noid lights. the pulse side is dull and steady no pulse.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Sorry.. out of ideas, except for a poor ground. Of particular interest would be the grounds to the block, and the PCM.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
had one in the shop from doing a 4.2 to a 3.8 conversion. the 3.8 camshaft sensor carries the same part #. swapped and still no go. are there any other sensors on ford that are required for start.
does the sensor still have the little piece of paper on the end that goen into the engine?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
no it doesn't, i just cross referneced the part# at an online autoparts store myself. ford used the same sensor on many different applications for those years. the # for these are F172 which is a duralast #

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the first time i read it before anything was tampered with was random multiple misfire in the first 1000 revs

·
Registered
532 Posts
i checked the pressure at the shrader valve on rail. with new pump registers almost 50 psi. leakdown over night still above 40. it runs on starting fluid great. no injector pulse after start. to clarify it will start on its own for about 1-2 seconds then dies immediately. so there for the injectors are opening initially then pulse stops and engine dies. could a malfunctioned security module do this?
Maybe ! Don't know how Fords works, but I had a Chevy Malibu with A SECURITY module failure that killed the fuel pump relay . It would just crank , however the security lamp on the dash panel would also flash . Maybe Ford does it diferently .

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this start and dies immediately happen before and it turned out to be a tiny spider had gotten into my MAF Sensor. Cleaned the spider out with a toothpick and the engine ran perfect again. ( check engine light did NOT come on so there were no codes for me to check)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts