Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I took my van (2002 Windstar LX) into a the dealer a week ago, as I was not getting cold air when the AC was on... They said I needed a new AC compressor.

I did some testing with the van to see what was working etc,as my wife mostly drives it...

I found that the rear had nice AC blowing but nothing from the front?!?!
This doesn't sound like an AC compressor problem does it???

I was not happy with the dealer as they charged a pretty penny to tell me that I need to replace the compressor and then i find out there is AC blowing but only in the back...

So... does this make any sense?? I tested the heat and it blows hot air out the front!

I searched then net and found this:

<<<I suspect either a bad blend door motor or Climate Control Assembly. The A/C heater function selector switch combines a vacuum selector valve for direct control of the vacuum control motors and electrical input to the instrument cluster module.
Ford has had some problems with blend door actuators so I think this is a good possibility. You should have a Ford Dealer scan the system to confirm this.>>>
does this sound about right???

I'd hate to go back to this deal or another and have them charge me again for AC diagnostic tests again, without doing a thing...
Any idea about the cost of changing/ fixing these things??

They also charged me to hook it up to their computer as I was complaining about rough idle, they said I needed to replace motor & transmission mounts ???I had to pay a big bill and basically no work was done...

any info would be great!

thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hiya, I was not able to get a good answer from the dealer.. difficult to get them to talk to you, they wanted me to bring vehicle back in which would likely be more diagnostic $$$$.
I went to just answer and got a quick reply which was what my initial thought was all along.. just needed someone to confirm it! I thought it was the blend door actuator...

the answer I got back was:

""our problem is the blend door motor. It is in the dash behind the radio. You will have to remove the radio and the left hand panel to replace the blend door motor.""

So I will get a quote for the work or (gasp) try it myself... I'm ok with a few nuts n bolts...

Will follow up with results in a few days!

wpt.

·
Registered
944 Posts
It may very well be a faulty blend door actuator (motor). If the actuator stops working while in the heat position....you get all heat. The other possibility is that the door itself is broken. If that is the case, the HVAC box needs to be removed to access the door. I hope it is not the door, as it is a huge job.

As stated, the actuator is accessed through the radio opening, and it may also be helpful to get access from glovebox and from underdash.

Here is a link to a recent Windstar issue quite similar to yours:
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/for...ems/1220-2003-windstar-blend-door-issues.html

The actuator is the white box in top left of the picture.
If the actual blend door is broken, it can be visually confirmed by the missing portion of the door shaft. (bottom right)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Similar problem on my 2000 Windstar. Rear blows cold fine. Front not as cold.

My guess is the blend door isn't traveling all the way because of a weak motor or it's partially broken.

I know fixing the door itself is a huge job. I'm not interested in tackling that fix.

But, has anyone here done a blend motor replacement? I took out the radio and can see it, but it looks like more of the center console has to come out than just the radio???

What tools? Tricks? Gotchas?

Thanks

·
Registered
944 Posts
You will need to create some exposure to access the blend actuator. I have had success by removing
1) Radio,
2) The lower portion of the dash, under the radio, and
3) Reaching in from glove box area.

If you have a full console.... then I'm not sure what additional steps need to be taken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts