Ford Automobiles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi the a/c stopped working on my windstar over the winter at some point. I checked the fuses and relays all seem to be ok. When I turn on the a/c the blower comes on but the clutch doesn't engage and the fan doesn't come on. Did a check on the accumulator switch and still nothing. Could it be a fuse or relay that I missed? the thermal switch? The clutch assembly? Thank for your help

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
electro will be the man with your answers, maybe others, be certainly he will know.
be patient he is here everyday :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll be looking forward to hearing back from him. Hopefully he'll be able to give me the schematics for it as well. Thanks for the link to the relay testing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
check if its sending 12v to the clutch, if there is voltage and it does not engage then chances are the clutch is bad

·
Registered
56 Posts
In almost all cases where a/c troubleshooting is necessary the first step is a visual inspection and the second step is connecting manifold gauges. I fully expect that when you do this you will find the refrigerant to be low or empty.

There is a low pressure switch that deenergized in the event of low refrigerant in order to protect the compressor from damage. It is highly likely that the system is low on refrigerant causing this switch to interrupt the clutch circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bridged the accumulator switch to see if it worked. Still need to get gauges to check the high and low pressure. Checked the low side to see if there was pressure and there is but I can't give you any numbers without a gauge. Thanks for the replies and I'll check back soon for more info and hopefully with some numbers

·
Registered
944 Posts
OK, so when you bridged the accumulator switch, you had the engine running, A/C on, and the compressor did not engage? Do you know if you had power at "the bridge"?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Notes:
Check the clutch gap (gap between the clutch faces). Apply battery voltage to the clutch coil and if it becomes a strong electromagnet the coil is OK. Jumper the low pressure safety switch and see if the clutch engages. If it does then the pressure is low and you should look for a leak (black wet oily dirt at A/C connections). Repair any leaks, vacuum the system, and recharge with the propery quantity of refrigerant and pressures.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't bother with any other troubleshooting until you use manifold gauges to check the charge. Post results here.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't have a set of guages.

Does autozone offer them in their loaner program?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.