Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent drove in awhile and went to start it the other day, it started, idled good, then just died! It wouldnt start and battery went down so jumped it, it started up again! After 10 min of running it just died again! I put heat in gas tank, changed filter(had black crap come out of old one), put sea foam in it! Does anyone have a clue what it could be? Thanks :mad2:

·
Registered
935 Posts
This is just my experience with an 89 Tempo 2.3, so take it for what it's worth. Wouldn't totally rule out electronic ignition, but my experience is that the newer systems are light years more reliable than the old dura spark (although many people found it to be a good system)
With the tempo, IAC usually manifested itself with an idle that would fluctuate widely 2 - 3 times then stall.
The behaviour was not necessarily consistent.
EGR usually showed up as fairly consistent stalling when you took your foot off of the gas. Also fairly difficult to restart. Had to hold accelerator part way down to restart it & put it into gear without stalling again.
Might have to check amount & pressure of fuel being delivered to injectors.

Since it's OBD2, is MIL on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is just my experience with an 89 Tempo 2.3, so take it for what it's worth. Wouldn't totally rule out electronic ignition, but my experience is that the newer systems are light years more reliable than the old dura spark (although many people found it to be a good system)
With the tempo, IAC usually manifested itself with an idle that would fluctuate widely 2 - 3 times then stall.
The behaviour was not necessarily consistent.
EGR usually showed up as fairly consistent stalling when you took your foot off of the gas. Also fairly difficult to restart. Had to hold accelerator part way down to restart it & put it into gear without stalling again.
Might have to check amount & pressure of fuel being delivered to injectors.

Since it's OBD2, is MIL on?
Hey thanks for the quick response and they isnt no check engine light on! What is also weird is when it starts it purrs like a kitten for about 5 or 10 min then it dies then hard to start for about 10 min or so!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Pull diagnostic codes, but I'm guessing that your alternator is shot.

When you turn your ignition key to ON, does the battery light come on?
When you get the engine running, does the battery light go off?

What voltage readings do you get at the battery with the engine OFF, and with it running?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts