Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here we go. This is actually a combination of the door and the motor. After finally tracking down the irritating noise in the dash and some google work, i land here.
I see a lot of reference online to the blend door breaking and a few creative ways of repairing it, but i'm not convinced it's actually broken. The motor tends to start rotating the door but it seems like it comes up against resistance of some kind. I've tried this at all temp settings and venting options (foot, dash, defrost, etc.) and still get the same symptoms.
So i decide to remove the motor and run it with no problems. So i take an allen wrench and stick it into the axle of the blend door (i'm assuming that's what it's called) and i'm able to rotate the door up and down.
So......Is there a spring or some sort of counter balance inside the box that would assist in the door operation or is the motor trashed (weak) or am i barking up the wrong tree.
Getting very frustrated with this.......

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
944 Posts
No spring or counter balance.
However the force of the air does provide resistance to the motor, especially at full hot or full cold.

You may have a weak motor. The gears inside often break.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not sure if your HVAC is set up the same but....I've had similar problems after a pen (or similar item) was dropped down the defrost vents. It stopped the door from moving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was able to remove the motor and turn the door with a small screwdriver and there doesn't seem to be any obstruction so i'm guessing the motor is weak. Easy fix.
Thanks for all the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts