Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few weeks, my driver side window intermittently quit working. Now, both the driver side and passenger side power windows have stopped working alltogether. Also, the rear power windows don't work at times - especially the driver side rear window. I have checked the fuses, and they seem to be okay. When I push down on the window switch from either front door, I can hear a relay click, and the interior lights dim somewhat, but the motor does not kick in. I cannot believe that the power window motors are all failing at the same time. I suspect the front control module is failing. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
798 Posts
IIRC all the windows get there power from the master control switch in the drivers door.
I've seen a few of these go bad after it got wet from leaving the window open while raining. Try removing the switch and clean up the contacts inside....if you dare. Doing this may ruin the switch...IDK??
It could be the GEM but i don't have a schematic to confirm this. Others will be along to verify my 'guesses'.
GEM = Generic Electronic Module

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Master Control Switch

I am not certain of this because I do not have a schematic either, but if the driver side door master control switch were failing, would the open door indicator on the dash light up? If so, that is not the case. The open door indicator is not lit.

How difficult is it to access the master control switch?

Thank you for your reply!

Jay

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am not certain of this because I do not have a schematic either, but if the driver side door master control switch were failing, would the open door indicator on the dash light up? If so, that is not the case. The open door indicator is not lit.

How difficult is it to access the master control switch?

Thank you for your reply!

Jay
I am not the sharpest pencil in the box Jay, but I believe the door ajar indicator dash light is controlled by the REM not the FEM, via the door ajar mechanisms.

I am supplying you with power window, FEM and REM wiring diagrams specific to your 2003 Windstar.

The master control switch is not extremely difficult to access. If I recall correctly, the switch is retained by a clip located at the front of the bezel. With the use a flat head screw driver, you should be able to pop off the master control switch bezel and then unplug the switches.

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
I can hear a relay click, and the interior lights dim somewhat, but the motor does not kick in.
I learned from someone a lot smarter than me*, that if you can see the dome light dim, then for all intents and purposes, that this "proves out" the circuit, and points you to the root cause of the problem: the window lift motor(s).

*http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/members/oldtimer35.html

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I had my switch fail on my Windstar, it was full of green corrosion, the PO left the window open a lot in the rain I guess.

I had the same issues you had. I tore apart the switch and cleaned what I could and it has been perfect ever since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my switch fail on my Windstar, it was full of green corrosion, the PO left the window open a lot in the rain I guess.

I had the same issues you had. I tore apart the switch and cleaned what I could and it has been perfect ever since.
Mark,
What year Windstar did you have? I have a 98, and only the passenger windows (front and rear) dont open. But that is even from the passenger switch.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2001 windstar and have the same problem. Driver window would work every now and then and finally quit all together. When I hit the button all I here is a clicking noise. Should I just try cleaning the switches or is it the whole window motor.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am not the sharpest pencil in the box Jay, but I believe the door ajar indicator dash light is controlled by the REM not the FEM, via the door ajar mechanisms.
I don't know if JayR resolved his power windows issue, but after re-reading this and looking at a better set of wiring diagrams, (attached below) I stand corrected. The FEM does control the Door Ajar light for the Left Front Door only and the REM controls the Door Ajar light for the Right Front Door, both Sliding Doors and the Rear Hatch Door.

I cannot believe that the power window motors are all failing at the same time. I suspect the front control module is failing. What are your thoughts?
I would think that "if" all the power windows have complete stopped functioning from both the Master Control Switch on the Drivers side and the Switch on the Passenger side and the Door Ajar light is NOT coming on when the Left Front (Driver's) door is open, that yes it is entirely possible that the FEM has failed. If, however, the problem is only intermittent, I would think that it would seem more probable that it could be the Master Control Switch, it could be a wiring issue or perhaps even a bad ground for the FEM and/or the power window switches (Ground G304, Ground G305 at the LH side kick panel).

My driver side rear window will not open.
If it is only the Left Rear Quarter window, I would think that it is possibly (a) rocker switch contact dirt, corrosion, etc (remove switch, inspect and clean) (b) possible open wire - Yellow/Light Blue (test at master control switch and L/R quarter window motor) or (c) the motor itself is sticky (apply adequate force to left rear quarter panel to test for stickiness) or the motor itself is inoperative (remove left rear quarter panel and test motor for power, ground and continuity). Since it would appear that all the window motors share the common ground G305 (LH side kick panel), I would think that if the ground was loose there would be more problems, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
use some contact cleaner on your switch panel and also on the window motors they get corroded just did mine same thing happened now they work fine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts