Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've got a 2004 escape which has a unusual problem, what I believe is it has something to do with the ECU's 'requirements for start'

so when the key is rotated to the 'on' position, the fuel pump can be heard running, after a few moments the odometer reading shows dashes, then if the key is rotated to the start position nothing happens (as if the ecu is saying it's not ready)

so if the key is returned back to the on position,

the fuel pump continues to run and if left long enough the fuel pump stops, odometer reading returns, the theft and check fuel cap light briefly illuminates and then the car will start.

It seems once the fuel pump stops running the car is ready to start, now it can take upto 15 mins for the pump to stop. It's been doing this now periodically for the last couple of years but it's doing it more often.

I've checked the fuel pressure with a gauge from AutoZone and it's within spec. The fuel pump has also been replaced.

I should mentioned once the car does start it runs fine, gas mileage is reasonable (combined 22mpg) and no check engine light.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Key on engine off fuel pump may run for a few minutes. Maybe 2 or 3. Then should shut off because correct running pressure should have been reached. If the pump is running longer than that, either the fuel pump is weak (you just replaced yours) or there is a leak on the other end causing the fuel pump not to build up pressure.

Not saying this is your issue ... there is a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail at the engine. When the pressure has built up it sends a signal to shut off the pump. That regulator can leak. If the pressure is too low the injectors will not work and the engine will not start. There are a number of vids on youtube for that regulator. It has a vacuum line to sense engine load. (More load more pressure needed) If the vacuum line is wet with fuel whe you pull it off of the regulator there is a leak in the regulator and the regulator needs to be replaced.

This is what the part looks like
Ford Escape Replacement Fuel Pressure Regulators – CARiD.com

Post back if that was of any help

Action

·
Registered
8 Posts
fuel pressure is not the problem as the pcm does not need to see pressure to crank the engine. your vehicle is equipped with PATS system (passive anti-theft system) this might be the problem. so I have a few questions. when problem happens does the theft lite blink rapidly? does the cooling fan run at that time? do you have another ignition key to try? has a chip in it. has it been scanned for codes, maybe a p1260? just a few ideas. hope this helps. Bob B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts