Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a "new to me" 2004 Expedition. Replacing front brake rotors and pads this evening. Last night when I pulled the old stuff off, I was surprised that the front end seemed "engaged". Rotating the hub spins the axle/cv joints, differential, and drive shaft to transfer case. I am not familiar enough to know if this is right or wrong. I am guessing the hubs aren't dis-connecting like they are supposed to. There is also a good amount of play between the hub and axle. Feels like a sloppy spline on the end of the axle shaft or worn out inside spline in the hub. Drivers side about 1/2 as much slop as the passengers. This truck makes a good amount of road noise. Seller tried to relate it to the Nokian Vatiiva tire tread. I am thinking this truck has been in 4WD all the time except transfer case. Am I right? Hubs vacuum or electric operated? Does the diff have an engage/dis-engage function too? I usually get some help at ford-trucks.com but cannot access it at work today. Hoped to find out what's wrong before I put it all back together tonight with brakes etc...

So, HELLO from new member and THANKS for any / all help!!! THANKS!!

I have read quite a bit since posting this on the "old" site (Thanks Cuda_Jim)
If the hubs and axle actuators are vacuum operated, I will guess that they should be engaged when engine isn't running, correct?
I guess I am back to a couple of original questions that I had prior to bringing the truck home.
Steering feels like it has about a 1/4" spot of slop when driving down the highway. Wheel effort seems to increase with speed...is that right?
And I am getting ALOT of road noise. Seller said tires, but??
When seeing axles, diff, and driveshaft turning I thought that was the source, but now I am back to wondering...?

THANKS !! !! !! !!

·
Registered
798 Posts
You're welcome, that site is full of some really nasty pictures.
Glad you made it over here.
Is this a diesel?
Is this A4WD?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well. I have been getting a few things worked out, answered a few questions, but still have a few more about this truck...
CudaJim, its no diesel, just the 5.4 2valves, and no cam phasing (I think) but it is 4wd.
Biggest issue now is the tires or something else howling!
I am very suspicious of wheel bearing or hubs. Maybe a differential...???
60-70 mph it is pretty loud. Seller said tires were noisey, but I am guessing its more than that. Nokian Vatiiva tires, mild AT tread really. I have had 38.5 Ground Hawgs, TSL Super Swampers, BFG Mud TAs, but these SEEM more annoying. Maybe not louder but the pitch or something. Wondering if there are any common / known issues. This is the first independent rear truck I have owned and curious about that. I did replace front brakes, WAY nicer. Going to do rears soon, still a little shake from them. I also put the truck up on stands and put it in gear. Seemed louder, whining, howling than I expected, but not as bad as going down the road. Appreciate any tips. I am also looking for a diagram of how the lower body plastic fastens on. One pice on a door seems like it needs a little help. Anyone want to sell their factory running boards off a 2003-new Expedition? I need a set, I guess. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Since the noise got louder on jack stands..... it's not the tires. Now that you have all four tires off the ground you can search for the noise with a short piece of garden hose held to your ear. Place the other end near the suspects......Wheel bearings are a good bet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed new rear brakes, rotated tires, and spun it up to 30-40 on blocks. Sounds like rear diff. About a 1/4" low on lube and driver's half shaft looks a touch sloppier than passenger. Also looks like that side's seal seeps a pinch...tires also sound like they are sucking air even on blocks...The transfer case output/drive shaft spline had a pinch of play too. Gotta check the lube in there and owners manual for type of lubes in each. See if any of those help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put a quart of gear lube in the rear diff this weekend. Wondering if the ring and pinion might be the "squealers" now. Looked like the drivers 1/2 shaft seal may have leaked slightly at one time, but I tilted the truck and slightly overfilled the diff. w/o any noticeable leak so far. Going to try and have the wife take it into a tranny shop that did some work on her Grand Prix for us. Hoping they can run it on their hoist and identify the source of noise. Just too scary setting the cruise and climbing underneath at home:( Noticed the E-brake/parking brake doesn't have enough tension to engage at all now. Any adjustment on these. I see how they're a drum set up inside the rotor's interior. Anyplace to get a diagram possibly? Anyone have any experience with these? THANKS

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you don't use the e-brake consistently they will corrode and not hold very well. The only adjustment would be on the cable. The adjuster should be running along the frame rail...... easy to spot.

It may be a wheel bearing too. You can check them by lifting the tire off the ground, grasp it top and bottom and push/pull looking for looseness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to find a schematic. It showed an adjuster similar to "full size" regular drums. Star wheel type. I don't see an access through the backing plate. Guess I will have to disassemble and adjust w/o the disc on. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Latest update...installed new (used with 25k mile $60) rear hub and took care of the road noise. WAY nicer. Took passenger rotor off and adjusted e-brake old school style. Access to the adjuster hole was far less then what I need to get any sort of tool in there. Reverse and applying e-brake didn't seen to get it either. All seems good with the truck now. Even wife says OK to it:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts