Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so to start with let me say i love this ol truck. 36x,xxx something miles and still running and looking good.
yesterday i started feeling a slight lope in the motor similar to a mild/soft cam feel in a old school hot rod.
being that it is a stock motor with no aftermarket parts that's not a good thing.
looking at buying a crate motor long block and replacing it.
has anyone here done this.
i am a gearhead and auto guy from way back. rebuilt and replaced many motors in the past and current but not on a newer type vech. with a brain.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Never built one
Autozone shows long blocks
They need info from your truck to get the correct one

·
Super Moderator
14,669 Posts
You don't know what is wrong and you want to replace the engine.

There are a lot of choices and this is a electronically controlled engine. There are a couple of choices that can cause more problems than they solve.

A stock long block of the same year or calibration will work.
Yours is a 220 hp 4.6 2V made from 2001 to 2005 for F series truck

Getting a different 4.6 would mean you would need electronics for that calibration. Or deal with an engine that runs strange at times and the check engine light will always be on.

Action

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input believe it or not i'm having problems finding a long block for sale. help!!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i replaced the coil packs and plugs and it cleared up the idle a lot.
there is still a light ticking but it is prob. the valves or something.
i could prob. pull the valve covers and go through the lifters and make that stop, but we just bought a newer 2012 f150 with a 5.0 with less then 100,000 .
though about putting up or sale, the way car/truck prices are going it could sale it for what i bought it for.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i found out from my newest issue of car and river that the car market is suffering from the small supply of processor chips that the china have. go thing i bought the newer 2012 f150 when i did, cuz now even a used standard cab is about 25k to 30k and i pick up my 2015 super crew cab for around 19k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts