Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am hoping i can get some help here.

I have a 2004 4x4 Eddie Bauer that i bought used in 07 with 55K on it. now it has 105K on it.

Last year while towing my boat I began to notice a " tire out of balance" feel coming from the rear of the vehicle. before that i never had a vibration towing the boat. This has gotten worse and is worse going in a straight line versus on a turn.

The boat trailer has new tires and I have trailered the boat with other vehicles so it isnt the boat trailer. The Expedition has new Michelin tires, New KYB shocks and springs and the brakes are only a year old, plus the u-joints are good. This problem still exists.

I had the right rear wheel off over the weekend and unbolted the upper Cross axis ball joint. At this point the movement in the lower Cross axis ball joint was extensive (i could move the brake/hub a great deal to the left and right) and so i suspect this is the cause of the vibration. I have addressed everything else wo what else good it be. LOL

My question is has anyone had a similar experience?

And does anyone know how these cross axis ball joints are removed? These arent like any ball joint you have seen before. They are basically a bushing that bolt goes thru. Looks like they may need to be pressed into the hub.

I have attached a picture of the upper ( or tried to).

Thanks for any help or advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey there Bassman896,

I am attaching a diagram of rear wheel knuckle of a 2004 Expedition. I believe that what my manual refers to as the "wheel knuckle bushings" are the same as the cross axis ball joints.

In answer to your question yes a press and adapter are required for the removal and installation of them into the wheel knuckle.

If you would like I can post the removal and replacement instructions or another member with a better working knowledge on the subject may be better able to help you.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Missinformation. I was suspecting it would need to be pressed out etc. I have a ball joint removal tool but i doubt that will work on this. If you could post the removal and replacement instructions that would be great. I try to work on my own vehicles, dont know if i will be able to tackle this one though. The instructions will help me determine that. Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Bassman896,

I am happy to be able to help. I am also attaching a link to the Explorer Forum BogHog has referred to before. It has detailed instructions with pictures on the front ball joints, which may also prove to help you.

How do I press in upper ball joint? PICTURES - Page 2 - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Here are the instructions I have - hope they help you.

Wheel Knuckle Removal & Installation

To Remove:

CAUTION

Prior to hoisting, jacking, or towing an air suspension vehicle, the electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut OFF. Failure to shut OFF the system will result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the vehicle during these operations.

CAUTION

Suspension fasteners affect performance of vital systems and parts. Failure of suspension fasteners may result in major service expense. If installation becomes necessary, a new part with the same par number must be installed. Do not use a replacement part of substitute design or lesser quality. To make sure of correct retention of these parts, torque values must be used as specified during reassembly.

1. Remove the Wheel Bearing & Hub.
  2. Remove the parking brake shoe retaining clip.
  3. Remove the parking brake shoe adjuster spring.
  4. Remove the parking brake shoe return spring.
  5. Remove the parking brake shoe adjuster.
  6. Remove the parking brake shoes.
  7. Detach the parking brake cable from the wheel knuckle by depressing the tabs.
  8. Remove and discard the toe link to wheel knuckle nut.
  9. Detach the toe link from the wheel knuckle.
  10. Remove and discard the upper arm to wheel knuckle nut.
  11. Remove the upper arm to wheel knuckle bolt.
  12. Remove and discard the lower arm to wheel knuckle nut.
  13. Remove the lower arm to wheel knuckle bolt.
  14. Remove the wheel knuckle.
  15. If necessary, use a suitable press and adapter to remove the wheel knuckle bushing.
To Install:

1. If necessary, install the wheel knuckle bushing.
  2. Install the wheel knuckle.
  3. Install the lower arm to wheel knuckle bolt.
  4. Install a new lower arm to wheel knuckle nut.
  5. Install the upper arm to wheel knuckle bolt.
  6. Install a new upper arm to wheel knuckle nut.
  7. Attach the toe link to the wheel knuckle.
  8. Install a new toe link to wheel knuckle nut.
  9. Attach the parking brake cable to the wheel knuckle.
  10. Install the parking brake shoes.
  11. Install the parking brake shoe adjuster.
  12. Install the parking brake shoe return spring.
  13. Install the parking brake shoe adjuster spring.
  14. Install the parking brake shoe retaining clip.
  15. Install the Wheel Bearing & Hub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts