Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving down the highway during a thunderstorm and my truck got struck by lightning, the next day I tried starting my truck but it wouldn’t crank so I thought it was the starter that was shot, I replaced it and my truck still won’t start and I don’t know what else to check. What else do y’all think the problem is?

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!
The engine won't start when the starter is turning over the engine?
Or the starter does not crank the engine?

BTW which engine is in the truck?

Action

Reactions: kessler6079

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
Check the battery. Does it have greater than 12 volts.

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
Before or after the lightening event?

Do you have a volt meter?
Does the instrument panel light up when the key is turned on? (no cranking)

Action

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this all happened after the lightning strike, all the electronics in the inside work fine, and yea the dashboard lights up but when you turn the key all you hear is a click, it won’t crank at all.

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
There is a starter relay in the central junction box. It may have taken a hit.
Use your owners manual to locate it.

Here is a diagram of the starter circuit.
There are two wire to the starter. One will be from the battery and it is rather thick. At the starter this wire or cable should be hot all the time. Test it with a voltmeter to make sure there is 12 v+ at that connection location on the starter. The starter is located on the passenger side of the vehicle and at the rear of the engine.

If that cable has 12 volts, the issue is on the control side of the starter. The thinner wire should have 12 volts + only when the ignition key is turned to start. That relay, I mentioned above can be a concern. Make sure the transmission is in park. (Assuming you have an automatic) The transmission range selector has to flow current and for that the transmission has to be in park or neutral
If the relay is an issue, it can be swapped with another relay in the central junction box. Most of the relays are the same or similar and can be interchanged.

Also look at the 15 amp fuse in the F2 31 location shown.

Action

2013-04-17_140339_a1.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts