Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if replacing the fuel filter on my wife's 2004 Freestar is something that I can undertake myself - while I am confident in my technical skills I have never replaced a fuel filter before. While the safety concerns that accompany the likelihood of some spilled fuel are apparent to me, are there any other particular concerns that I should have in mind? Will I need any special tools and would I need to have the vehicle up on a lift? And finally, can anyone point me to the location of the filter? I glanced underneath on the driver's side last evening but didn't see anything that looked like the new filter I bought at NAPA. Thanks very much, and thanks again to the senior members that were so helpful and quick to respond to my previous question about the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey there Osito;

If I recall correctly the fuel filter is located near the rear edge of the driver's door, inside the frame rail, approximately 3/4 of the way back. There may be a guard that covers it, I don't recall.

I find that the retainer clips pop out easily with a flat head screw driver, however you may need to use a fuel line quick disconnect tool.

Fuel Filter

Removal & Installation

To Remove:

1. Release the fuel system pressure.
  2. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
NOTE: The fuel tubes and fuel filter may have some fuel remaining within after the fuel system pressure is released. Upon disconnecting the fuel supply tubes or removing the fuel filter, carefully drain the residual fuel into a suitable container.

1. Disconnect the fuel supply tube-to-fuel filter inlet quick connect coupling.
  2. Disconnect the fuel supply tube-to-fuel filter outlet quick connect coupling.
  3. Loosen the fuel filter retaining clamp.
  4. Remove the fuel filter.
To Install:

1. Installation is the reverse of removal.
Hope this helps.

Addition: Do NOT use a Floor Jack for this. I would recommend driving the front wheels of the vehicle onto car ramps. I would also apply the parking brake and place wheel chocks behind the rear wheels. Also you will need a catch pan or something similar for any spillage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MissInformation, thanks very much for the reply. In order to relieve the fuel system pressure will it be enough to just remove the gas cap, or is another process required?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey Osito,

Happy to help :)

In regards to relieving fuel system pressure, I don't usually do much more than open the gas cap, it's a messy job any which way. However, you may wish to review the thread below, as it has many useful and helpful suggestions from some of the more knowledgable and experienced forum members pertaining to that very issue.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/ford-taurus/407-fuel-filter-swap-2005-a.html

Also, in case you do not have ramps, proper jack stands are another safe alternative, it really is a matter of what one prefers to work with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts