Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reaching out to see what assistance I can get from more seasoned Ford owners and self
repair mechanics.
I own a 2005 Ford Escape XLT 6 Cyl vehicle (161500 miles) and would like to know how often the rear
axle assembly needs to have gaskets & fluid replaced and approximately how long a service repair
for length of repair time wise. Hourly rates vary in Las Crucves, so I can gear my estimate labor time
and adding replacement gasket, fluid, etc to purchase at one of the small box auto parts stores.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply,
Steve in New Mexico

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
In my opinion and some will disagree and that is OK.
Never!

Only replace the fluid if you need to disassemble for some other repair.

Unlike engine oil there is no combustion or blow-by gasses in there.

Unlike a transmission the fluid in there just does not get that hot to break down the fluid. In a transmission fluid temps over 175 to 200 shorten the life of transmission fluid. Otherwise if transmission fluid did not get over 170 the fluid could stay in there for years.

And the owners manual service schedule is what supersedes anything I posted. And I bet nothing is stated in there.

Save your cash and do some other maintenance. Like conditioning weather strips or wax the exterior. I am sure the New Mexican sun beats up the exterior of your ride.

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my opinion and some will disagree and that is OK.
Never!

Only replace the fluid if you need to disassemble for some other repair.

Unlike engine oil there is no combustion or blow-by gasses in there.

Unlike a transmission the fluid in there just does not get that hot to break down the fluid. In a transmission fluid temps over 175 to 200 shorten the life of transmission fluid. Otherwise if transmission fluid did not get over 170 the fluid could stay in there for years.

And the owners manual service schedule is what supersedes anything I posted. And I bet nothing is stated in there.

Save your cash and do some other maintenance. Like conditioning weather strips or wax the exterior. I am sure the New Mexican sun beats up the exterior of your ride.

>>>>>>Action
Thanks for your kind and rapid response. I will continue looking at my grocery list
for other items that need replacement.
Your kind assistance is helpful.
Steve in NM.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
If you have a list of TO DOs on your ride (I have one er many of those)
Spend the cash and effort on those areas first.

Always seems like there is some more things to do! :)

>>>>>>Action

1 - 5 of 5 Posts