Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know, a Freestar.......but....I need help.

A/C works perfect while driving and will not cool at idle. There is a fast, clicking sound that is present at idle.....can't tell if it's there while driving.....and goes away when I turn the A/C button off.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Is the electric cooling fan running ?(the one by the radiator)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the electric cooling fan running ?(the one by the radiator)
Yes. The AC works fine until I stop and idle. Once again, there is a rapid clicking sound at the compressor. Could it be the comp? The AC is still as cold as new when we are driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Phantom is asking about the cooling fan behind the radiator, and not the blower fan that blows cool air inside the vehicle. The cooling fan is imortant for the a/c to operate while you are not driving down the road (and for the engine to not overheat under the same condition). If your cooling fan is not working, then the compressor may be cycling on and off due to the high pressure switch turning off the a/c compressor, which it will do because of excessively high pressure in the a/c system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phantom is asking about the cooling fan behind the radiator, and not the blower fan that blows cool air inside the vehicle. The cooling fan is imortant for the a/c to operate while you are not driving down the road (and for the engine to not overheat under the same condition). If your cooling fan is not working, then the compressor may be cycling on and off due to the high pressure switch turning off the a/c compressor, which it will do because of excessively high pressure in the a/c system.
Ok.....there are two fans. The one on the passenger side nearest the compressor hasn't came on. I let my wife drive it to town and back which is about 15 miles. Is this the fan for the AC?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Vehicle cold,hood open.Start vehicle turn on ac a fan should come on immediately. The 2004 mercury Monterrey I'm working both fans come on but you would have to check with a test light to see if they're getting power and not turning on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vehicle cold,hood open.Start vehicle turn on ac a fan should come on immediately. The 2004 mercury Monterrey I'm working both fans come on but you would have to check with a test light to see if they're getting power and not turning on.

Ok. Will do. I know how to bypass the plug and use the straight battery to see if the fan is bad.

And this fan not working will cause the AC to "click" rapidly? Is that the switch going crazy?

·
Registered
623 Posts
without the fan working the high side pressure can shoot up in the 450-500 psi and it will open the high pressure switch.This can happen quite rapidly .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. First thing I did was to wiggle the plug and guess what? It kicked on. Now I have to figure out what's making the plug not connect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts