Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here and came for help on my girlfriend's car. She has a 2006 Ford Explorer and went to check it out at a mechanic, they said she's having problems with her rear wheel bearings and parts and labor are going to be about $470. Is this a reasonable price or should we continue looking elsewhere? Thanks for the help :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new here and came for help on my girlfriend's car. She has a 2006 Ford Explorer and went to check it out at a mechanic, they said she's having problems with her rear wheel bearings and parts and labor are going to be about $470. Is this a reasonable price or should we continue looking elsewhere? Thanks for the help :D
Get a second opinion.

Rear axle bearing almost never wear out ! When they do, they will make a fair amount of noise and/or cause the rear axle seals to leak. If the rear axle seals are leaking, then the rear brake shoes probably will need to be replaced.

New bearings, axle seals, and a rear brake job could come close to $500, but I also think you could find a better price.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Look elsewhere....
Independent rear suspension hubs are around $160 ea. I don't know what the book time is to R&R it but I can do one in less than an hour.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jim, what tools do you have to press the bearing in and out? We've got the hub tamer elite, but I haven't found a good adapter to do it on-vehicle yet. I've been taking the arm out and pressing them in/out out of vehicle. Definitely more than an hour this way :(

·
Registered
262 Posts
Jim, what tools do you have to press the bearing in and out? We've got the hub tamer elite, but I haven't found a good adapter to do it on-vehicle yet. I've been taking the arm out and pressing them in/out out of vehicle. Definitely more than an hour this way :(
God's honest truth.. What I used to press out my old bearings in my windstar is this..

awww.istockphoto.com_file_thumbview_approve_1830717_2_istockphoto_1830717_sledge_hammer.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
3rd & 4th gen explorers have an IRS so you have to change the bearings and hub assembly (all in one)

Similar to the front bearing hub assembly.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
3rd & 4th gen explorers have an IRS so you have to change the bearings and hub assembly (all in one)

Similar to the front bearing hub assembly.

That is incorrect. The bearing is available by it'self and can be pressed out and in using a decent press and a home made tool. I cut the hub flange out of a rear brake drum so all that was left was the sides of the hat and the rotor. It makes the job so easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts