Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Taurus SEL 12V car accelerated by it self when im driving, is pretty hard to brake. I had to put the car in neutral in order to stop. the rpm's went up to 4,000. This is the second time it has happened.. Anybody with the same problem????

·
Registered
185 Posts
try to disable cruise controll. Sometimes acceleration valve wiring is damaged and C/C pulls the throutle cabel, and gas pedal goes down to floor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you sure your not driving a Toyota? :biggrin5:

But i would look at the CC or a sticky release spring.. unless the newer Taurus' are electronically controlled.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 2005 Taurus was experiencing this a few months ago. The cruise control cable would slip off the throttle body, and somehow would prevent the thottle body from rotating back to idle. The fix is to get a new cruise control cable assembly (you can't just order the connector).

Other things you can do, yes, you can put it in neutral, but then the RPMs will shoot up a tad higher. Try tapping the accelator pedal and that usually can get you back in idle. In the mean time, consider moving the cable out of the way. The connector is the problem, it stops staying connected to the throttle body.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Are you sure your not driving a Toyota? :biggrin5:

But i would look at the CC or a sticky release spring.. unless the newer Taurus' are electronically controlled.
Let me disagree. He drow his car with C/C off and car accelerated itself, so cabel must be OK, I sugest bad wiring. Anyway to be sure I'd like to unhook C/C cabel and try to drive.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is a cable controlled system, not drive by wire. Not many things that will cause it to accel by itself. The cable can stick when accellerating, but normally if you tap the pedal it will release. The throttle position sensor can ratchet and this will increase fuel drop and timing, but not air, so that would be a problem. Also set a code. The cruise cable can also stick, but it's not pulled on. I'd check for mechanical interference at the throttle body.

·
Registered
58 Posts
MTX totally beat me but was gonna throw in maybe the cable came from a prius, or bring it to your local toyota dealer for warranty. Sorry i know you have a problem and i can't help you but couldn't help myself. Good luck

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is a cable controlled system, not drive by wire. Not many things that will cause it to accel by itself. The cable can stick when accellerating, but normally if you tap the pedal it will release. The throttle position sensor can ratchet and this will increase fuel drop and timing, but not air, so that would be a problem. Also set a code. The cruise cable can also stick, but it's not pulled on. I'd check for mechanical interference at the throttle body.
To be sure unhook C/C cabel trom TB, no self acceleration - the problem is in C/C.

may be there is dirty inside cabel getting in stuck, may be faulty acceleration valve, may be valve wiring. Not to many things to ispect and fix. I had Ford Aerostar and there were wires with old insolation that intermediatly short and engine started accelerating, I had to depress clutch pedal and engine overran, reving up to redline. I pulled out 3 bad wires, rewired and got no peoblem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
To be sure unhook C/C cabel trom TB, no self acceleration - the problem is in C/C.

may be there is dirty inside cabel getting in stuck, may be faulty acceleration valve, may be valve wiring. Not to many things to ispect and fix. I had Ford Aerostar and there were wires with old insolation that intermediatly short and engine started accelerating, I had to depress clutch pedal and engine overran, reving up to redline. I pulled out 3 bad wires, rewired and got no peoblem.
Pablo, I disagree with your advice. I highly doubt it is an electrical problem. I had this problem with my 2005 Taurus.

The plastic connecting piece from the cruise control cable to the throttle body would slip off, and this would get caught partially in the throttle body, not allowing the throttle body to return to idle.

OP, Open the hood and take a look at your throttle body and tell me if the cruise control cable is loose on it, or not.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Pablo, I disagree with your advice. I highly doubt it is an electrical problem. I had this problem with my 2005 Taurus.
well, why I sugest electrical problem. If I depress gas pedal, then release and car goes on accelereting, I agree, but when car runs with c/c off and self accelerate to red line..... well, it is not so easy to inspect car when it is distant (may be thousands miles)... so I hope problem will be found soon and we will know what was the problem

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
or you can stop being a sissy, and just remove the cruise all together... problem completely solved and it costed next to nothing.
i did it on so many cars. the cruise in your particular car has the cable binding up and it causes the cable to pop out of the bracket because of all the extra slack. just cut the cable by the servo, and disconnect from the throttle bracket, problem goes away forever

·
Registered
67 Posts
well, why I sugest electrical problem. If I depress gas pedal, then release and car goes on accelereting, I agree, but when car runs with c/c off and self accelerate to red line..... well, it is not so easy to inspect car when it is distant (may be thousands miles)... so I hope problem will be found soon and we will know what was the problem

I had this exact problem with my car, I guarantee it. Cruise control was off. I would be driving along, release the throttle, and it would stay right where I had it.

The throttle body was not rotating back in to the idle position, it would stay at the high setting. This was caused by a mechanical failure, not an electrical failure. A plastic piece (the connector from the cruise control cable) would get lodged in the throttle body, stopping the throttle body from returning to idle.

INGASU, have you resolved your issue yet?

·
Registered
67 Posts
INGASU, also, try using your cruise control and tell me what happens. I bet you get the annunciator light to come on, but the vehicle will not maintain speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Please forgive my ignorance - I'm defiantly not mechanically inclined - but Justin,
Open the hood and take a look at your throttle body and tell me if the cruise control cable is loose on it, or not.
Where might I find the Throttle Body?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Hello,

Please forgive my ignorance - I'm defiantly not mechanically inclined - but Justin,
Where might I find the Throttle Body?

Thanks,
Tom
follow your air intake hose, past the air filter, and where it ends, that's the throttle body.

·
Registered
338 Posts
any one suggest vacuum ... camero did the same exact thing ... to the "T" found it was was nothing more than a vacuum leak ... :idea: or you have a toyota motor on board ...

·
Registered
67 Posts
A vacuum leak could certainly cause this, however it would probably be throwing a few codes, and there was no mention of any check engine light.

Start easy, and that involves checking the cruise control linkage at the throttle body. It will take you 2 seconds to check it out!!

Seriously people, what the heck?!?! :mad2: This issue pops up monthly (carrying over from the old forum) and its the same damn thing every time! Its really a simple fix. But if y'all want to get in the weeds, throw money at it, then that's fine by me.

Buy a new TPS! Rewire your cruise control! Get a new ECU! Or just check your cruise control cable where it connects to the throttle body.

I'm done here. :dita:

:smile5: (Half serious, half kidding with this... but its frankly quite annoying when people post a problem, ask for advice, get that advice, don't act on it, and say the problem is still there) Then of course many fail to follow up with what the problem was and what the fix was.

·
Registered
185 Posts
any one suggest vacuum ... camero did the same exact thing ... to the "T" found it was was nothing more than a vacuum leak ... :idea: or you have a toyota motor on board ...
Cars with MAP really accelerate, but this one with MAF and any air that comes it not throught MAF causes lean codes and do not let engine race so fast. As I've understood, NO CEL, NO DTC!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NO check engine light ON, i'll try what justinOK suggested tonight. ill let you know..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts