Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if any one can confirm the amount of coolant needed for a basic flush. I see my manual indicates a tad over 28 quarts, 7 Gallons. Past experience tells me I won't need that full amount. Just trying not to buy more than I really need. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Depends if you drain everything to empty which is hard to do and if you have rear heat.

I would flush until clear water comes out. Close up the system. Add half pure antifreeze and fill the remainder with fresh water. If the system take 28 quarts add 14.
It is unlikely you will drain everything after flushing.

>>Action

Reactions: MikeRuth

·
Registered
128 Posts
I need do this. I will remove thermostat and lower hose on radiator and flush with garden hose till water runs clean. Then because there will be residual clean water in engine add a gallon of undiluted coolant. Top up with 50/50 as you need avoid as much tap water as you can. After running engine till hot a lot of air will be bleed out and you will need top-up as necessary. A good time to test and replace thermostat.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I actually did not remove the thermostat I followed the fordtechmakuloco method with the engine hot and running and I like it. I used two gallons of concentrate to add to the water left in the system and that was about right to give 50/50.

Reactions: Action
1 - 4 of 4 Posts